Forums

Well its official.. Ireland here I come.

• 2180 points

The new wife and I decided to go to Ireland long before we were married for our honeymoon. Last week we booked our trip for the middle of June for 8 days. I'm so freaking excited. 

We will be flying into shannon, getting a rental car, and flying out of dublin. I've been researching which courses I should hit up, but seems like they all looks amazing (reference: kid christmas morning excited). 

So who has been? Course recommendations? Tips? 

•  

If anyone has played over there I bet it would be 19hole.  Hopefully he sees this!

• 2739 points

We made the trip a couple of years ago and played Waterville,Ballybunion(2 courses),Lahinch and Doonebeg(a Greg Norman course that is about 10 years old). Without question Doonebeg and Ballybunion were the 2 most memorable courses due to the hills,valleys and dunes that the courses are situated on. If you play Doonebeg be prepared for more walking than usual but it is an unforgettable experience.

Have a great trip.

•  

that's awesome!  my Dad and i had planned a trip over there a couple of times.  unfortunately it kept getting put off for one reason or another and then he passed away before we had the chance to go.  it's really great you're taking the opportunity and doing it.  have fun and bring pictures!

•  

Rick (19hole) has been there numerous times and could probably tell you exactly where to go for anything.

TT

•  

Have fun and enjoy your time. Play well and make the most of your experience.

-ICONs for ALL

• 1787 points

I went on business a few years back.  Played at st anne's, which I enjoyed.

http://www.stanneslinksgolf.com/mysitecaddy/sitedata/stanneslinksgolf.com/images/st%20annes.pdf

Also went many years ago on a high school trip.  Great place to visit, with or without golf.  Peaceful.

• 3627 points

Trailee, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Old Head, and Royal Dublin are all very good and in the general area. If you have time and are willing to drive to Northern Ireland Royal County Down is all-world.

• 2180 points

thanks for all the info guys.. I will have to send rick a message and get the FYI on some more courses. 

PatC... I really want to go to northern part, mainly for port rush.. but wife said this is our honeymoon and she wants to do the southern tour... so guess what... no northern ireland for this guy this trip.. hahahah 

•  

CONGRATS REBEL.

I PLAYED BALLYBUNNION IN JUNE ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO.

ONE OF THE MOST FUN COURSES I HAVE EVER PLAYED. HUGE DUNES WITH THE HOLES ROLLING BETWEEN THEM.

FIRST HOLE STARTS OUT WITH A CEMETARY(OLD) RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. WOW, WHAT A START.

CADDIES ARE FANTASTIC AND THE PEOPLE OF THE TOWN ARE TO NEVER FORGET.

HOPE YOU GET TO PLAY THERE.

•  

If you are flying in to Shannon, Waterville in County Kerry is one of my favorites.  Old Head gets a lot of press is a spectacular, beautiful course but I think overrated.  Going towards Dublin Portmarnock is great in the Dublin area, Royal Dublin is ok but not great, and Royal County Downs may be one of the finest in the world but way up there and tough to get on.

•  

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned, Rebel...You'll have to post photo's so we can experience Ireland vicariously.....It's definitely on my list of places to go. Enjoy!

• 3627 points

REBEL

thanks for all the info guys.. I will have to send rick a message and get the FYI on some more courses. 

PatC... I really want to go to northern part, mainly for port rush.. but wife said this is our honeymoon and she wants to do the southern tour... so guess what... no northern ireland for this guy this trip.. hahahah 

What time of the year are you going?

• 2180 points

PatC.. we are leaving june 11th of.. so coming up quickly

• 440 points

Old Head (amazing views), Waterville, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Doonbeg; Royal County Down; Portstewart; K Club