Forums

Dress Code

•  

I play at a public course and would like to see a dress code. I asked management why there isn't a dress code, I was told because it is a city course a dress code can not be enforced. I don't understand why, but that's what I was told.

•  

grumpy830

I play at a public course and would like to see a dress code. I asked management why there isn't a dress code, I was told because it is a city course a dress code can not be enforced. I don't understand why, but that's what I was told.

my guess, money.  they don't want to limited anyone from coming.

•  

tdogg21

grumpy830

my guess, money.  they don't want to limited anyone from coming.

That came to mind, but there's a public course here near me, and it's subsidized by the city.  The first sign (if you missed "Bag Drop") you might see through the pro shop walkway is "Dress Code Enforced".  It probably serves the purpose and makes people think and ask what it is.  And for the most part that I've been there, people are pretty much golf dressed. . . I've seen a guy in a denim pants and cashmere sweats, and no one said a thing nor anyone mind. . . but it almost didn't look like golf . . . I don't know, denim might be a good thread post to start, but I can't see my self in it in a golf course. . . not a big deal, but then i maybe wrong.

•  

In my opinion there’s a lot of tradition and etiquette connected to the game of golf. So, I feel one should show up for a round dressed appropriately regardless of playing public, semi private or private course. Dressing the part plays a role in the mind set of your game as well as how others perceive you on or off the course.

Today Standards are more lax at public courses as they don’t want to turn away anyone with cash in hand, tote the feeling the game needs to grow, so shedding the exclusive nature of the sport is seen as a good thing.  But sometimes the pendulum swings too far when I see tee shirts, jams, for the guys and sports tank tops for the women.

At the driving range or practice areas the all out uniform is not all together necessary in my book. Jeans are ok as long as accompanied by a collared shirt and proper footwear. However, if one is heading on course afterwards that’s a different story.

Although some of courses I frequent allow questionable attire in my book – They ask that guys wear a collared shirt and note the course prescribes slacks or hemmed shorts to incoming players.  

Here are rules from a few of the course I play in CT….

Golfers are expected to wear proper attire. Collared shirts are requested for men and women. Proper golf shorts and jeans are acceptable. Golf shoes (soft spikes only) or sneakers are permitted. Short-shorts, jogging, tennis, athletic shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs or bathing suits ARE NOT considered acceptable attire for the golf course.

Please note that jeans of any style (shorts or long pants), short shorts or mini-skirts, cut offs, tank tops, dew rags, bathing suits or mens and boys shirts without a collar are NOT permitted. Caps should be worn with the bill facing forward Only soft-spike shoes or rubber soled shoes are permitted. If your golf shoes do not have soft-spikes, Please see a golf shop attendant to have your spikes changed.

•  

girlsgotgolf
    .......But sometimes the pendulum swings too far when I see tee shirts, jams, for the guys and sports tank tops for the women........

i see nothing wrong with that! :)

and are those Ian Poulters new shoes on the unacceptable side??

• 3627 points

tdogg21

girlsgotgolf
    .......But sometimes the pendulum swings too far when I see tee shirts, jams, for the guys and sports tank tops for the women........

What's wrong with blue socks? ;)

•  

PatCCraig

tdogg21

girlsgotgolf

What's wrong with blue socks? ;)

And my socks do not stay up....

-ICONs for ALL

• 630 points

For the places I golf (public courses, clubs open to the public), some are a bit more strict than others, but generally it's collared shirts, no jeans. I usually wear a collared shirt anyway, and either shorts or slacks.  And the vast majority of the other golfers follow suit.  Every once in a while you see somebody in jeans, but it's pretty rare.

•  

Some places even let people play in cargo shorts!

• 2474 points

I find it interesting that it mentions short shorts and miniskirts-- most LPGA players would be out of compliance if that is enforced.  also most young women golfers since the short skirt seems to be the trend right now.  

• 1495 points

We have one of those pro's who has a dress code but doesn't always follow his own code. I've played on the college team here in my hometown and he would have a go at us for wearing jeans to practice, but as he was having a go at us, he himself is wearing jeans.  While we have a very nice course, used to be rated in golf digest, I think the there is a lack of enforcement as far as the dress code goes. Just last week in league and fellow player was wearing denim shorts, with a sleeve less shirt. I would prefer it if every took the time to look half way decent when they come out to play instead of looking like they just got off work. Take a little pride in yourself.