Forums

Minnesota Golf: From Fields to Fairways: Classic Golf Clubs of Minnesota

• 3627 points

I don't know how many people on here are from Minnesota or have played golf up here. For those that might be unfamiliar there is an incredible wealth of golf history here and many very interesting courses and club histories. A friend of mine just wrote an published a comprehensive book on the history of golf in Minnesota (published by the University of Minnesota Press) called From Fields to Fairways: Classic Golf Clubs of Minnesota which was recently released. 

In case anyone is interested or collects similar types of books (like I do):

http://www.amazon.com/From-Fields-Fairways-Classic-Minnesota/dp/0816677328

•  

I'd be interested to pick this one up. . . I know of a pro from South St. Paul, Minnesota.  I think after he was done playing in the tour (mostly away) or some time during, he was also a club pro at Southview CC.  It's be interesting to see if there's anything about Southview.

Also in Minnesota, Keller Golf Course was where the last U.S. Open "Match Play" was held.  I think a friend of his runs it.

• 3627 points

There is a chapter on Southview CC, as well as Keller.

Keller hosted two PGA's, not a US Open. They hosted a tour event for ~30 years as well as a Western Open. A great public golf course.

•  

"PGA". . . my bad.

A chapter on Southview & Keller ?!?!?!  . . . wow, thanks!

I wonder if Tommy Purcell at Keller knows about this book.  He is a good friend of Corky Dahl @ Southview (back in his days after touring). . . . I'll just have to pick it up and send them a copy.

Thank you for the heads up!

•  

As it happens I played Whistling Straits today in 30 mile wind.  Here are some pics.

•  

Will be playing Blackwolf Run River Course in the morning and then the Irish course at Whistling Straits on Friday..  Staying at the American Club in Kohler.  Will post pictures after each day. This is quite the experience.

•  

Bob, The American Club and Whistling Straits are in Wisconsin, not Minnisota!

•  

The best little course that i have played in Minnisota is in Chaska, Hazeltine National. If you ever get an invite be sure to accept it!

•  
    19hole

Haven't played in MN yet but since Bob brought up Wisky I just played Big Fish Golf Club in Hayward today. It's a really nice Pete Dye course. Lot of fun. Rough front nine but fought back to leave with a 90. I would post pices from my iPhone.... :-). I will post some when we get back.
  •  

19hole

My bust I miss read the Thread. Thanks for the correction.