Forums

Bethpage

•  

I live maybe an hour away and have yet to go there.

I once made an arrangement with one of my account reps, that would have had him booking and paying for a round there.  Unfortunately, his company went out of business and I was never able to cash in on the free round.

If you haven't yet, I would start booking as soon as possible.  From my understanding you have to make sure that you reserve your spot well in advance.

Once you get there, make sure you take plenty of pictures.

Maybe you can let us know when you plan on going, and if arrangements can be made, I wouldn't mind joining you.  That is if you wouldn't mind at least one more.

•  

Pablo Rosales

I live maybe an hour away and have yet to go there.

I once made an arrangement with one of my account reps, that would have had him booking and paying for a round there.  Unfortunately, his company went out of business and I was never able to cash in on the free round.

If you haven't yet, I would start booking as soon as possible.  From my understanding you have to make sure that you reserve your spot well in advance.

Once you get there, make sure you take plenty of pictures.

Maybe you can let us know when you plan on going, and if arrangements can be made, I wouldn't mind joining you.  That is if you wouldn't mind at least one more.

the problem (if I remember correctly) non-NY residents can only make a tee-time something like 5 or 7 days in advance.  but NY residents can make a tee-time 2 or 3 weeks in advance.  so it sounds like NY residents can play if they want, but the rest of us just have to hope to get lucky.  hence my desire to find a NY golfing buddy!

•  

I played there quite often when I lived on Long Island.  The nice part about the Bethpage complex is that there are several other courses there as well - Red, Green, Yellow, you get the gist.  The Black is certainly the signature track, and very difficult.  Carts are not allowed on Black, so be prepared.  

If you are traveling a distance to play, my recommendation would be to go on a weekday.  Less demand on a Tuesday than there is on a weekend day - thus a greater chance of playing Black.  If you can, make it a 2 day event and play some of the other courses there as well.  Red is a great run as well.   Also, 2-somes are easier than 4-somes, so if you are not adverse to breaking up your group, you will have a better chance of getting a time.  

The last option, and I am not a big fan of it, is to purchase a tee time from a travel/golf site and pay a premium to play.  I am personally against this type of business, but it would get you on the course.  

BTW - Play the tips and bring the long sticks.  The course is a challenge!

Good luck and have fun!

•  

ToddL

I played there quite often when I lived on Long Island.  The nice part about the Bethpage complex is that there are several other courses there as well - Red, Green, Yellow, you get the gist.  The Black is certainly the signature track, and very difficult.  Carts are not allowed on Black, so be prepared.  

If you are traveling a distance to play, my recommendation would be to go on a weekday.  Less demand on a Tuesday than there is on a weekend day - thus a greater chance of playing Black.  If you can, make it a 2 day event and play some of the other courses there as well.  Red is a great run as well.   Also, 2-somes are easier than 4-somes, so if you are not adverse to breaking up your group, you will have a better chance of getting a time.  

The last option, and I am not a big fan of it, is to purchase a tee time from a travel/golf site and pay a premium to play.  I am personally against this type of business, but it would get you on the course.  

BTW - Play the tips and bring the long sticks.  The course is a challenge!

Good luck and have fun!

my friend and i have been talking about going for a couple years now.  i had heard the other courses there were nice as well.  if/when i do go i want to play at least one other course while there.

i'm also against paying a premium to play.  same thing with St. Andrews.  why not just let me call and make my own tee time?  i think it kind of ruins a little bit of the experience for everyone.  but that's a whole other conversation for another time.

• 1441 points

Enjoy my friend Bethpage is on my list of things to do in the near future. Bring back some nice pictures to share with your friends here.

•  
    I appreciate all the advice and useful information. One of our friends is the quarterback of this play because he played there last year. He seems to know the drill. I'll keep everyone updated. Still 50/50 but if I go, plenty of pictures!
  •  

dzabkar
    I appreciate all the advice and useful information. One of our friends is the quarterback of this play because he played there last year. He seems to know the drill. I'll keep everyone updated. Still 50/50 but if I go, plenty of pictures!

good luck!  need to start pushing your friends so those odds go up.

•  

Devin_Gmitter

One of my friends and I made the trip in High School, I couldn't have been over 17 at the time and I am surprised my parents would let me go to Pittsburgh to New York on a whim.

But here is how the story started, my friend called me on a Saturday morning around 9:00, "Hey, you want to go to Bethpage?"

I respond,"Of course, when?"

"I can be at your house in 20 minutes" my friend came back with. 

Without hesitation I packed up and we were on our way.  

I actually found the course not that difficult, shot an 81 (43-38) without hitting a good shot all day. Probably some nervous jitters at playing a U.S. Open venue.  My Friend shot a 73 (He is a mini tour guy now). 

But it is something all golfers should do and I have one question dzab - got room for one more?

Cool story! Nothing beats a high school road trip, especially one with a golf course.

•  

tdogg21

dzabkar

He seems to be on it. Everytime I swing past his work area he has his spreadsheet, contacts, dates, RSVP's, etc... 55/45 ?!

•  

dzabkar

tdogg21

dzabkar

He seems to be on it. Everytime I swing past his work area he has his spreadsheet, contacts, dates, RSVP's, etc... 55/45 ?!

sounds promising.  keep us posted!

• 3627 points

A college buddy and I drove down from Boston a couple times on Friday afternoon in order to play on Saturday morning. It's a fun experience. We made sure to bring a set of bags and a 30-pack of natty light in order to make the night for faster though!