Forums

Any recommendations for resorts in AZ?

• 1594 points

It looks like the Wife (Better known as "She who must be Obeyed") and I will be broadening our horizons this upcoming March and heading to AZ for a couple of days to for a nice little getaway. My question to you all is a very simple one... Do you guys(gals) have any recommendations for resorts out there? We are looking for a place that I can golf while she gets a massage. Maybe get a little shopping in, but mostly for us to relax.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

•  

Scottsdale is full of them. Westin Kierland, JW Marriott, Phoenician are some of the tops.

•  
    If you want to stay in Phoenix, I would recommend the Pointe at Tapatio. Great golf course and fantastic facilities. Enjoy your getaway!
  •  

I found a great looking resort website, and it looks like they have a low price guarantee.

http://www.arizonagolfresort.com

Otherwise, I would have recommended somewhere around ASU Karsten in Tempe I believe it is.

•  
    Miller You have good advice here already, which I will echo. JW has 36 holes at Desert Ridge. Played both courses and they are wonderful. I first played Wildfire in 1995, before the resort was built. Great track, wonderfulul resort. Taxation is also nice, and a bit closer in. Marriott has 2 resorts at Camelback that are good places. You won't go wrong with desert golf my friend.
    • 1594 points

Thanks everybody! I've passed along all of these to "She who must be Obeyed" for her to research for what she's interested in. If it were up to me, I would play all of them. 

Once again...Thanks for all the input.

•  

Please check out The Boulders.. They have two private courses and top notch spa! The huge boulders that are in and around the resort/golf courses are spectacular and its ten minutes outside Scottsdale!

•  

I'll second bholley's recommendation of the Westin Kierland. Great golf, great spa, shopping next door. Omni Tucson National is another good choice.

•  

golfchick

I'll second bholley's recommendation of the Westin Kierland. Great golf, great spa, shopping next door. Omni Tucson National is another good choice.

Chris you are right about the Tucson National. What a beautiful property. Bob's steakhouse is great and played golf with the GM. For Tucson go in September right after labor day. Went there last year and the prices were way down and not crowded.  The Aviation Museum south of Tucson is a must see.

In Scottdale try going in May.

• 682 points

• Southern Arizona

Make the trip out to Arizona and the Phoenix area will attract you like a magnet with its legion of golf courses and resorts, all fighting over your golfing dollar. But if you are overwhelmed by the choices the "Valley of the Sun" has to offer, head south into spacious, affordable Southern Arizona. The small towns here have a certain charm that Phoenix, Tucson and Scottsdale lack, not to mention a handful of challenging, affordable golf courses.

Featured Southern Arizona Golf Courses

-->
    -->
    Located in the North Tucson area, SaddleBrook Ranch Golf Club borders the Santa Catalina Mountains. The course meanders through the high Sonoran desert, incorporating natural washes into the design and providing stunning mountain views from almost every hole. Abundant desert flora and fauna further enhance the rugged, gently rolling terrain.
    -->
    Legacy Golf Resort’s championship course features lush, green fairways, forgiving rough and strategically-placed hazards. Dramatic elevation changes provide extensive views of nearby Camelback Mountain, Squaw Peak and the Phoenix skyline. The resort itself features 328 suites with kitchens, a practice facility, pool, fitness center and tennis court. The facility also includes a fully stocked pro shop and the Kinetic Golf Academy.
    -->
    The Boulders Golf Club in Carefree offers two championship courses, the North and the South. The courses are both known for their rugged beauty, sprawling across a Sonoran Desert landscape covered with towering cacti and ancient boulder formations. The North Course is surrounded by the desert foothills of Black Mountain, which provides a stunning backdrop for most of the holes.
  • Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Valley of the Sun -- made up of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa and a slew of other rapidly growing cities -- is the golf capital of the American Southwest. With close to 200 courses, the Valley can make a legitimate claim to being the most golf-rich region in the United States. Each year millions of golfers from sun-starved winter climates make their way to this sun-splashed golfing pantheon to test their mettle on desert courses that yield more lost balls than birdies.

Featured Phoenix/Scottsdale Golf Courses

-->
    -->
    The Boulders Golf Club in Carefree offers two championship courses, the North and the South. The courses are both known for their rugged beauty, sprawling across a Sonoran Desert landscape covered with towering cacti and ancient boulder formations. The North Course is surrounded by the desert foothills of Black Mountain, which provides a stunning backdrop for most of the holes.
    -->
    Raven Golf Club at Verrado is an upscale desert layout designed by John Fought and Tom Lehman that opened for public play in January 2004. John Fought and Tom Lehman collaborated on the Raven at Verrado Golf Club, a voluptuous design that meanders through the old Caterpillar bulldozer proving grounds.
    -->
    SunRidge Canyon Golf Club's beautiful layout winds among the foothills the McDowell Mountains. Nestled between the canyon walls, it at times seems like the missing piece to a beautiful golf course puzzle that evolved over millions of years in the Sonoran
  • Enjoy as Arizona has tons of great golf to play!
    Striker Wright

•  

A great spot in Phoenix is the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs.

•  

bholley

Scottsdale is full of them. Westin Kierland, JW Marriott, Phoenician are some of the tops.

I second the Phoenician. Although I haven't stayed at the resort, I did play a round on the course there last summer.  One of the best courses I've ever played!

• 3627 points

I would check out the Biltmore. Amazing hotel and a couple good courses.

•  

Dallin

bholley

I second the Phoenician. Although I haven't stayed at the resort, I did play a round on the course there last summer.  One of the best courses I've ever played!

I was lucky enough to stay at the Phoenician and played the courses at Kierland...either of those would be fantastic...

As for local courses I'd suggest Ocotillo...great layout and great scenery.

• 440 points

I understand the Hyatt is very nice, same goes for the golf course(s) on the property