Forums

top ten courses

•  

Justinu3
    Devin it's nice FJ is giving you a day off from the community. Enjoy.

There is no such thing!  But I doubt Newport CC has a lenient cell phone policy...

•  

Devin_Gmitter

The round is this Sunday...Sorry for the confusion!

Devin, I hope you have a very enjoyable one: please fill us in on the highlights next week.

•  

Well I hope FJ appreciates you as much as we all do.  Thanks for keeping the community running at all hours.

Enjoy your round tomorrow!

•  

Well, how was Newport?  Which way was the wind blowing?  

•  
    It was extremely calm for Newport...but from what I was told it was blowing in the standard direction just nowhere close to the normal gale force type winds that sweep over the island. (I live close by and the winds are usually brutal anywhere near the coast) The layout was very natural, following the ebs and flows of the seafront property. No hole seemed forced it was like the landed demanded a golf course be built on top of it. Every hole flowing effortlessly into the next... Not one hole out of place. It is one of those places you stand on the first tee and you can just feel it. If you have played any of the top courses in the country you know the feeling! It is truly a special place and is somewhere you do not pass up playing given the opportunity... Let's leave out how I played as it will only diminish my memory of the course!

•  

•  

Very nice review and photos, Devin.  Thanks for including us in your thoughts during and after your round.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    It was extremely calm for Newport...but from what I was told it was blowing in the standard direction just nowhere close to the normal gale force type winds that sweep over the island. (I live close by and the winds are usually brutal anywhere near the coast) The layout was very natural, following the ebs and flows of the seafront property. No hole seemed forced it was like the landed demanded a golf course be built on top of it. Every hole flowing effortlessly into the next... Not one hole out of place. It is one of those places you stand on the first tee and you can just feel it. If you have played any of the top courses in the country you know the feeling! It is truly a special place and is somewhere you do not pass up playing given the opportunity... Let's leave out how I played as it will only diminish my memory of the course!

Devin: sounds like a special round, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The pictures are great too. It's always a pleasure to play a course that flows naturally and is in great condition. I also like the challenge of coastal courses where the wind is unpredictable. Bull Bay in Anglesey is a good one where they hold the Anglesey Open. The winds are usually strong and when they drop it confuses the members who seem naturally used to compensating for it even when they don't have to. 

•  

Sweet!  Newport CC is one of the classics!  Great photos.

The back to back par 3's on the back (#13 and #14) are very tough with the wind in your face...Great experience and thanks for sharing.  

• 3551 points

I'm going to go about this a little different...how about the top 5 courses I would like to play:

1. Augusta National

2. The Old Course at St. Andrews

3. Pebble Beach (I'll throw in all the other Monterey Courses while I'm there)

4. Pine Valley CC

5. Carnoustie GC

and now the Top 5 I have played (in no particular order):

1. Sea Island Seaside Course

2. Primland Resort

3. Pinehurst #2

4. The Cliffs at Glassy

5. TPC Sawgrass

Pinehurst #2 and TPC Sawgrass are both great tracks but, if you take away the prestige I have played better venues.  

•  

GORGEOUS PICTURES DEVIN.

I HOPE THAT GUY SWINGING IN THE PICTURE DIDN'T HURT HIS ANKLE,,,SEE THE WAY THE LEFT ONE IS BENT,,,OUCH.

LUCKY GUY.

•  

For me the choices would be Augusta National, Pebble, and the Old Course.  I would also take just about anything near the beach in Mexico and Hawaii. 

•  

ToddL

The back to back par 3's on the back (#13 and #14) are very tough with the wind in your face...Great experience and thanks for sharing.  

Wowza!  I'm new to the east coast, but there's a lot of great golf up here.  I hope I get the chance to play some of these in the future.

• 3627 points

joshgiano

ToddL

Wowza!  I'm new to the east coast, but there's a lot of great golf up here.  I hope I get the chance to play some of these in the future.

Newport CC is a real treat. Probably the coolest clubhouse on the east coast!

• 3627 points

Devin_Gmitter

Awesome pictures Devin!