Forums

top ten courses

•  

pulplvr

No one seems to have addressed your original question, Fairway.  For me, I'd have to pick at least five courses near me, so I could play a different course every weekday (as a retiree, I don't play much on the busy weekends).  It would be wonderful to pick five course to travel to, but it would be very hard to do, because of the travel costs.  Like everyone else, I'd love to play Pebble Beach, Augusta National, and The Old Course, but getting there to play more than once would break my bank very quickly.  I'd probably pick some tournament quality courses near me here in Texas, like Colonial, TPC San Antonio, TPC Four Seasons in Irving, and possibly the TPC Louisiana, and Annandale (Madison, MS).

A good move pulplvr, Having a range close to you I think is a good option. I n my top ten I would select eight that are local and then have two for occasional play on the wish list that tare top draw, dream courses. It's a balancing act.

•  

Fairway finder

Nice Todd, would you rank them in any order or just happy to play them all? They look great. I really would like to play Augusta as well as pebble beach.

If I had to rank them, I would go:

1) Augusta National

2) Newport CC

3) Rhode Island CC

4) Pebble Beach

5) Kapalua

6) Kittansett

Frankly, ranking Kittansett as #6 is tough because it is such a beautiful spot.  One par 3 is an island green during high tide, and a green surrounded by a sand trap during low tide...It is a great seaside links course here in Massachusetts.  As you can tell, I am partial to Newport and RICC as I have played them quite a few times - growing up in the area is a big advantage.  Nothing beats the views from Kapalua in Maui, HI.  And of course, Augusta is Augusta - the mecca, the center of the golfing universe.  It could be said that on the 7th day, Bobby Jones rested...

•  

I was lucky enough to receive the invite from a friend and colleague.  Just hope the New England weather will be forgiving for a couple more weekends. 

•  

Id love to play Augusta, spyglass, oakland hills, st. andrews, doral, celtic manor, arcadia bluffs, and i could probably think of some more great golf courses.

•  

Tar Heel

There are two courses that I have said are places I want to go before I get packed in dirt permanently....

Pebble Beach and The Old Course.

The rest are great, surely beautiful.... But I'm focused.....

Count me in Randy!

•  

Neither of those will be disappointing. Having played both, I prefer the Old Course. Pebble is certainly beautiful, but it is very over-priced for what you get. It tends to be a 5 1/2 - 6 hour round.

The Old Course is pure golf. 3 1/3 hours walking with a caddy, no golf cars here! A true test that changes with the wind and that changes with the tides! The other great thing is that there are so many other places to play nearby; King Barnes, Carnoustie and Gleneagles are very close. Less than 2 hours away you can get to Western Gailes, Royal Troon (my Favorite) and the 2 courses at Turnberry.

•  

19hole

Neither of those will be disappointing. Having played both, I prefer the Old Course. Pebble is certainly beautiful, but it is very over-priced for what you get. It tends to be a 5 1/2 - 6 hour round.

The Old Course is pure golf. 3 1/3 hours walking with a caddy, no golf cars here! A true test that changes with the wind and that changes with the tides! The other great thing is that there are so many other places to play nearby; King Barnes, Carnoustie and Gleneagles are very close. Less than 2 hours away you can get to Western Gailes, Royal Troon (my Favorite) and the 2 courses at Turnberry.

Ahhh Royal Troon 19hole, now you're talking: did you need the driver on the 17th par 3 when you played it. The North wind doth blow: I think it's a northwesterly actually, but that's not as poetic. I'm interested that you don't think Pebble is value for money, I still want to play that and Augusta, the US equivalent to the Old Course in my view, steeped in golfing history.

•  
    Devin, Newport must have been a bear in the wind today. I know it blew 20-25 with some higher gusts up here on the North Shore. It had to be worse the.
  •  

The RIGA (Rhode Island Golf Association) plays it's annual Burke Tournament at Newport CC every year.  It is the 1st major amateur tourney in the state.  Usually it is split up into a Gross (less than a 6.0 index is required) and Net tourney (full fields in each usually contested 2 weeks apart in May).  The other courses that they use are Wanumetonomy in Middletown, RI, Shelter Harbor in Charlestown, RI and Carnegie Abbey in Portsmouth, RI.  

•  
    ToddL

The RIGA (Rhode Island Golf Association) plays it's annual Burke Tournament at Newport CC every year.  It is the 1st major amateur tourney in the state.  Usually it is split up into a Gross (less than a 6.0 index is required) and Net tourney (full fields in each usually contested 2 weeks apart in May).  The other courses that they use are Wanumetonomy in Middletown, RI, Shelter Harbor in Charlestown, RI and Carnegie Abbey in Portsmouth, RI.  

Shelter Harbor is an unbelievable track. Beat me up pretty good when I played it earlier this year.

•  

BEEN VERY LUCKY TO HAVE PLAYED MANY OF THE GREAT COURSES. OUR CLUB HAS 5 COURSES, 4 OF WHICH I PLAY EVERY DAY. THE 5TH IS AN AUXILIARY COURSE THAT I GET TO PLAY A COULPE TIMES A YEAR--XTRA COST.

WE HAVE MANY FINE COURSES AROUND THE HOUSTON AREA TO PLAY,CHAMPIONS,MEMORIAL PARK,TPC WOODLANDS,CARLTON WOODS,REDSTONE,ETC. SO WE HAVE GREAT CHOICES RIGHT HERE AT HOME.

ONES I HAVE NOT PLAYED BUT ARE ON MY LIST ;

ROYAL MELBOURNE

CAPE KIDNAPPERS

ALL OF THE BANDON DUNES COURSES

MUIRIFIELD

ROYAL COUNTY DOWNS

PORTRUSH

AND OF COURSE AUGUSTA.

•  

Devin_Gmitter

ToddL,

Actually got lucky enough to get a time at Newport CC in next weekend.  I will snap some photos!

DG

How was the round Devin, Did you manage to take any pictures?

•  

The round is this Sunday...Sorry for the confusion!

•  

So Devin, what time do you want Rick and I to be on the 1st tee?

•  
    Devin it's nice FJ is giving you a day off from the community. Enjoy.