Forums

Course recommendations on Boston North Shore?

• 628 points

Does anyone have any recommendations for courses open to the public on Boston's North Shore?  My parents moved up to Beverly Farms and I'm looking for someplace relatively nearby to play next month.  I don't know any courses in that area.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mike

•  

I play at Atkinson Resort & Country Club in Southern New Hampshire. It would be a bit of a drive from the Beverly area, but a good challenge, fairly priced and great dining too!

•  

Sorry Mike - I do not know many courses up north of Boston.  The southeastern MA and RI area is my backyard.  The only courses that I have played up on the north shore are Salem CC and Andover CC (both private) - fun courses, but both times I played there, it was for tourneys...

•  

Mike

You need to get with the staffers, or 19Hole (Rick). They are the guys with local knowledge.

•  

We do have some very nice public access courses in the Greater Boston area. Unfortunately they are not in the immediate Beverly Farms area.

If you want some great golf, travel just south of Boston, right off RT93 and play Granite Links. They have 27 holes and some of the best views around. Just don't go when the wind is really blowing!

The other great play to play is at the old Ft. Devens, now just the town of Devens, MA. It will take about an hour from Bev Farms, but it is worth the drive. A great layout and is usually in great condition.

On the plus side there are some very nice small pubs and eateries in Bev Farms and Manchester By The Sea (about 5 miles up the road).

Enjoy!

•  

there is another resourse you can use: www.mgalinks.org . It list links to all of the courses in the state; private, public and semi-private. Check and out and make a few calls. If there is a private course that looks like you want to play it, have your home course professional contact the professional where you want to play and see if they can get you out. It is always worth the phone call!

• 628 points

Rick - thanks so much for the suggestions!  I think they'll be there for some time, so I hope to have a chance to explore a lot of golf options in the Boston area in the coming years.  Thanks again.

•  

I live in the North Shore, and I've only been here for a year so I don't have too much knowledge, but here's some good ones to check out.

Beverly Golf and Tennis is really close to your folks.  It’s nothing amazing, but it’s a fun track with some circus holes.  It’s a fun round, and it’s a good track for the $$

Peabody Meadows in Peabody-  Really hilly and a good track

Sagamore Springs in Lynnfield-  A fun old track that’s always in good shape.  Rounds can get a little long though

Hillview CC in N. Reading- Same as Sagamore.  A fun old track that’s in great shape, but the back 9 is usually slow playing

Trull brook in Tewksberry-  A really nice and fun course.  Probably a half hour away from you, and the best one on this list IMO.

Gannon in Lynn-  A hidden gem.  It’s usually busy with locals, but it’s in good shape and is an overall fun track.

Also let me know if you're going to be swining the stick in the north east.  I'm always down to play

• 360 points

i would play Atkinson country club. great course

• 628 points

Thanks again to all for the suggestions.  I ended up playing at Turner Hill and the course beat the ever-loving hell out of me.  That's one beautiful golf course that is unrelenting and unforgiving around the greens.

I look forward to exploring the other suggestions in the months and years to come.  Cheers!

• 3627 points

I don't know the North Shore very well. But in terms of public golf I really like George Wright which is in the city. A very fun and rugged old Ross muni that is pretty underrated.

•  

NDGC99

Thanks again to all for the suggestions.  I ended up playing at Turner Hill and the course beat the ever-loving hell out of me.  That's one beautiful golf course that is unrelenting and unforgiving around the greens.

I look forward to exploring the other suggestions in the months and years to come.  Cheers!

I belong to Crane's Beach (not a golf course) and have always wanted to play Turner Hill.  I love the H&F courses I've played and it looks great from the road.