Forums

Myrtle Beach Golf Courses

•  

dtr8
    So now that we have had some folks weigh in on their favorite courses to play in Myrtle Beach, the next best question is what is your favorite restaurant / bar for a great post round meal after a long day of golf.  My personal favorites are Rioz Brazilian Steakhouse.  Its directly across the highway from The PGA Superstore, what better way to end the day then a great meal and shopping for some new FJ apparel.  Also am a fan of the Greg Norman Australian Grille at Barefoot Landing.

My wife and I really like the Greg Norman grill.  We try to get there about once a year for a date night.  If you don't mind going a bit north, The Boundary House in Calabash is an excellent restaurant with affordable prices.  Almost the same level as the Greg Norman Grill, but half to 1/3 the price.  I have a place in Sunset Beach, so all of the non-big name restaurants I know of are all up that way.  Some good ones, but a little bit of a drive depending on where people stay.

•  

DB9Boilers
    What is best time of year to play golf buddies trip to Myrtle beach when you consider good weather (65-70 & above) and off season greens fees?  I would like to play some of the big boys down there (King's North, TPC, Caledonia/True Blue & maybe even Dye barefoot) but some of these fees scare guys away and they elect to play cheaper but good courses.  Anyone had great success getting most bang for their buck?

If you want cheap rates, first of November until Valentine's Day (but weather is a *** shoot.  Could be 70 and sunny or 30 and snowing) or summer (and again, weather is the issue.  Could be 90 with 90% humidity).  Best compromise would have to be late April and into May or September into October.  Best chance for mild temps with reasonable rates.

•  

Go Hokies
    Randy -  I plan on making it down either April 30 or May 1 for the member-guest I play in.  we might be able to touch base with a couple of the other FJAs and meet.

I'm hoping to make a trip this spring sometime.  I typically go at Easter with the family but that's probably not going to happen this year.  So I'm hoping to make a golf trip at some point.  If I make it down around those dates, I'll let you guys know and maybe we can try to meet up.

•  

DB

Cheapest time of the year is July-August when it can be super hot/humid. I go in April and its in the 70"s, but that is a busy time so rates can be higher.

There are lots of great courses, so you can sprinkle one big buck place and then go more moderate fee courses but still have fun. That's what my group does and it is plenty enjoyable.

• 1723 points

Ya my buddies and I have been thinking of starting a annual tradition outing to Myrtle every year.  Something like a 2 man best ball handicap format that everyone would have a chance and have a boat load of fun.  I love to play new courses and my mind goes on overload thinking of the possibilities of how much golf can be played in a week in Myrtle.  My wife wants to move to Charleston, so hopefully we will get a vacation in down there soon as well.  

• 1723 points

Great info tdogg and Tar heel, it does seem to be a gamble when you go to the resort areas to get a little bit lucky on weather in the off season so they don't kill you on green fees.  

•  

DB9Boilers
    Ya my buddies and I have been thinking of starting a annual tradition outing to Myrtle every year.  Something like a 2 man best ball handicap format that everyone would have a chance and have a boat load of fun.  I love to play new courses and my mind goes on overload thinking of the possibilities of how much golf can be played in a week in Myrtle.  My wife wants to move to Charleston, so hopefully we will get a vacation in down there soon as well.

The area is so big, if you do decided to make an annual trip, my recommendation would be to pick an area each year and play courses around that area.  You could waste a lot of time driving around to courses if you're not careful.  When people refer to "Myrtle Beach Golf," they could be talking about anywhere from just south of Wilmington NC all the way to Georgetown SC (about a two hour drive between the two).

• 303 points

Heather Glen and Prestwick

•  

Yup. The strand is quite large and goes a long way as Todd says.

Seriously, you can get a package where you wont break the bank. We play 4 rounds over 4 days, get accommodations for 4 nights, and it rarely is over $600. That gets on Glen Dornach, Heather Glenn, Thistle, The Big Cats, or any one of a large number of great tracks. Price does not equal quality sometimes!

•  

Stay in touch - I'm only 5.5 hours away and pretty easy to get down that way.

• 462 points

My friends and I have been traveling to MB for 7 years.  We usually go in the April - May time frame.  Like everyone on this list we have played many courses.  It is almost like a bucket list to play ALL MB courses.  I think we are close to 40 different courses.  We like the Mystical courses for the fact that they are very accommodating.  We came down one year with 5 (1 could not make it due to a bad back).  They let us play with 5 as long as we kept pace and did not hold anyone up.  Also, lunch was included in the fees.  We played the 3 Legends and they were nice courses however, on 2 separate occasions, we blew tires on the carts.  They get a lot of play and sometimes the cart upkeep is lacking.  We did like the breakfast and lunch being included in the fees.  Tradition, Pawley's Plantation, Long Bay, Willbrook, Blackmoor, and King's North are so far the ones we liked best.  Just over the border in NC, we played Sea Trail (3 courses), Farmstead (check out the par 6), Crow Creek (very nice also), and the Big Cats.

This year we will be playing Wachesaw East, Aberdeen, Grande Dunes, and River Club (4 round deal with a free $100 gift card to use at the pro shops - food and/or merchandise).  We may try to squeeze in another 18... maybe Wicked Stick.

Some restaurants we recommend, Villa Romano (5 course meal...you will not leave hungry), Bovines (Surfside Beach), Bonefish grille (is always a safe bet), and a couple that were mentioned (Rioz and Greg Normans).

• 544 points

You are missing some really good courses:

Pine Lakes, Caledonia, True Blue, all the Barefoot Courses.

•  

Thanks for joining the chat Vooch. All valid points of view.