Forums

Myrtle Beach Golf Courses

•  

JosephR
    There seems to be no mention of Kiawah - Ocean Course. Does anyone recommend this for a challenge? Also, to Chuck and the other SC locals, when is the 'off season'? I'm wanting to pay homage to SC's world-class bounty of golf.

Joseph:  For Myrtle Beach......July and August when it is hot and in the winter......most tourists do not like our humidity along the coast......I would call them and ask when their off season rates are....they will tell you.....we have in state and out of state rates......go to GolfNow.com.............Kiawah - Ocean Course is not in Myrtle Beach, but in Charleston.  Cost for the Ocean Course is in the four hundred dollar range......you can walk with a caddie but a caddie is not included.....to experience to beauty of the course...I recommend a caddie and walking, but they do offer carts....the caddies there are very knowledgeable of the course...........I have played that course many many times but will not pay that amount.....I knew the superintendent.....or received compensation for volunteering for a major event at the course (with the exception of the PGA)......beautiful course and tough.....there are a number of courses on Kiawah Island:  Turtle Point, Osprey Point, Cougar Point, and Oak Point.  They run in the hundreds and Turtle Point is a challenging course as well.  There are two other courses there.  The River Course and Cassique, but they are private.  If you belong to a private club you might check with you pro and see if he might be able to work something out with them.  Hope this is not TMI....HAPPY GOLFING...CZ :)

• 819 points

CZ hit the nail on the head for Kiawah as a whole.  The Ocean Course is just south of $300.  Definitely walk and use the caddie services (will run you at least the suggested $70).  In addition to the 5 public courses on Kiawah, there are 2 others to the south on Seabrook.  I think all of them in the area are top notch.

Myrtle is a great place for golf though.  Great price range and skill tests.  I was down there two weekends ago to deep sea fish.  I caught two sharks, but sinking puts was on my mind the whole trip.  I need to get down one week or long weekend just to play some golf.  

• 1260 points

Good info above, I have been looking at getting a few trips to SC for golf planned and appreciate the info.  I need to call the many package services they offer and see what prices we can get for what times of year.  

• 1260 points

Good info above, I have been looking at getting a few trips to SC for golf planned and appreciate the info.  I need to call the many package services they offer and see what prices we can get for what times of year.  

•  

DB9Boilers

This might save you a lot of phone calls.  Check it out - www.myrtlebeachgolf.com

• 819 points

Heading to Myrtle the fist weekend of March.  Haven't played there in a while and have to say I'm pretty excited.

•  

For anyone planning to come to the beach this year:  53rd Annual Canadian-American Days (March 8-16) -  Biker Week Spring Rally (May 9-18) and Biker Week Fall Rally (Sept 26-Oct 5).....traffic is rather heavy at these times and lodging could be an issue.......otherwise come enjoy the number one golf destination in your best FJ outfits.....  :-)

•  

Thanks for the heads up Chuck. My group and I will arrive this year on April 29 and be there through May 4, so we will miss most of, but not all of the biker week. Yippee. Now if only we could miss those dang Shaggers!

•  

Tar Heel
    Thanks for the heads up Chuck. My group and I will arrive this year on April 29 and be there through May 4, so we will miss most of, but not all of the biker week. Yippee. Now if only we could miss those dang Shaggers!

Official state dance......that has been here since the 50's.....the kids came to the beach to listen to R&B and do their own thing and the dance evolved.....it will be here when we are long gone.....it and a game called half rubber......the beach is what it is....the main thing that has changed is more golf courses, hotels and places to eat and shop.......if you need an extra person or two let me know...I live in Mt Pleasant...it is about 1.5 to 2.0 hours from their depending on where you will be staying.....I was stationed there in the Air Force for two years in the 70s......hated to summers.....traffic

• 1561 points

So now that we have had some folks weigh in on their favorite courses to play in Myrtle Beach, the next best question is what is your favorite restaurant / bar for a great post round meal after a long day of golf.  My personal favorites are Rioz Brazilian Steakhouse.  Its directly across the highway from The PGA Superstore, what better way to end the day then a great meal and shopping for some new FJ apparel.  Also am a fan of the Greg Norman Australian Grille at Barefoot Landing.

•  

DTR...

We fancy heading to Pat and Mikes Irish bar. It's a dive mostly, but for a good lunch and cold pitchers of beer before we head to an afternoon round it's great. There's a place near Cherry Grove that I think is called the raw Bar (changes names a lot). Great seafood and close to where we stay.

My crowd is mostly low budget and the only requirement is lots of cold beer. So I roll with it, since the comedy is better than food really.

•  

Randy -  I plan on making it down either April 30 or May 1 for the member-guest I play in.  we might be able to touch base with a couple of the other FJAs and meet.

•  

We could meet up indeed Bobby. Lets stay in touch as time draws near. I will be staying up North again in Cherry Grove close to Tidewater.

• 1260 points

What is best time of year to play golf buddies trip to Myrtle beach when you consider good weather (65-70 & above) and off season greens fees?  I would like to play some of the big boys down there (King's North, TPC, Caledonia/True Blue & maybe even Dye barefoot) but some of these fees scare guys away and they elect to play cheaper but good courses.  Anyone had great success getting most bang for their buck?

• 1260 points

Good info Chuck, thanks.