Forums

Grand Cyprus New Course Orlando

•  

Have to be in Orlando this weekend on busy. Staying at the Omni Resort so will be playing one of their courses but thinking about grand Cyprus

•  

Bruce....

The New Course is a wonderful track and you'll love it. I've played it and it's always a treat. Good clubhouse, practice facility, and course. Convenient to get to as well.

I say go for it.

As an alternative, though a drive, is to head down to Champions Gate. Really exceptional.

•  

Tar Heel

Bruce....

The New Course is a wonderful track and you'll love it. I've played it and it's always a treat. Good clubhouse, practice facility, and course. Convenient to get to as well.

I say go for it.

As an alternative, though a drive, is to head down to Champions Gate. Really exceptional.

I'm staying at the Omni which is at Championsgate. Maybe I'll just play both courses there instead of the the St Andrews homage

•  

Oh Bruce...

If you are at the Omni you must play the Champions Gate courses. There's a different Omni that I remember (back in the day), so I would never have advised you to drive AWAY from Champions Gate to play at the Hyatt!

Their practice facility is awesome for sure. And the Annika Sorenstam Learning Center is there as well.

•  

Randy,

David Ledbetter Academy is now at Championsgate. Annika has moved to the Reunion Resort.

I can understand the confusion between David and Annika. Both have great facilities, both from another country, but David tends to wear more make up than Annika

•  

For the money, I would not play the New Course at Grand Cypress. While it looks like a links course it does not compare to any of the real links courses in Scotland. Having played it as well as most of the Open venues in the UK I find it disapointing.

I partially agree with Randy, play the International Course at Champions Gate. I would also tell you to go 20 minutes up I4 and play the Magnolia Course at Disney. It is a fantastic layout. My condo in FL is about 10 minutes from Champions Gate and Magnolia is where I play most every day in December / January when I am in Florida.

There is another interesting layout in Haines City called Southern Dunes. Not sure how the conditions will be this time of year but it is a pretty challanging layout.

Have a great trip!

•  

Thanks 19 I think I will probably just play Championsgate twice. Or probably play the Disney course.

•  

B... I think David is taller than Anika, but I could be mistaken.... My bad, as I thought she was set up at Champions Gate as well.

Magnolia is indeed a sweet track, and 19 is spot on with his rating of it. He's also right that The New is a replica and clearly not the same as the "real thing" in Scotland. But in the end, some people like playing the replicas because they don't have the luxury of going to Europe to play. I for one have never been able to swing that trip, so I go to the knock off. I would never imply the replica is as good as the real thing....

No matter where you go, I do hope you have a great time. Have a drink on me!

•  

"I would never imply the replica is as good as the real thing...."

Randy I have to respectfully disagree I have seen some eye popping enhancement surgeries which have left the real thing(s) standing in the dust or well at least hanging there sagging drooping sort of.

•  

True.....

But I was referring to golf courses.....

•  

Randy, I didn't mean to discount your opinion of the New Course. I have played it several times and it is OK, but it really doe not play like a true links course. Jack did a nice job on the track, but you just cant replicate a true links layout and give the player the feeling of what a links course plays like.

If money is no object, as the New Course is pretty expensive and you want to have a go at a couple of 150 foot birdie putts, then by all means give it a try. I just find the quality of golf to be much better on a number of courses that offer better value and are more visually pleasent to play.

Sorry if I may have offended you in any way.....

•  

No offense at all 19! Not a bit. Scotland is on my bucket list, but have not been able to go yet. The replicas I've gone to have provided the only representation, and I've done The New and Royal Links in Vegas.

My home course is an Arthur Hills course and is links as well. Not a drop of water on it, just bunkers and fescue. Hills sort of sculpted land about 3 miles in from Lake Michigan, so there is a mostly sand base with few trees.

Orlando is like many destinations, as you know. Lots of choices and so folks get a few favorites... I've done the Magnolia, New, Falcon's Fire, Osprey, and Palm. Did Shingle Creek too. All fun in their own way.

Again 19... no offense at all taken my friend.

I was actually giving a "tongue in cheek" back to BHoll....