Forums

Favorite Course near Charlotte NC

•  

I just got a new account at work and will be spending some time in a town just north of Charlotte NC.  If anyone on here has a good hidden gem in or around Charlotte please enlighten me.

Thanks!

• 270 points

TPC at Piper Glen! The best course in Charlotte!  You must go play it!

• 270 points

Another great course in Charlotte, Olde Sycamore.  It is stunning!

•  

Josh,

There is a place off of 77 called Verdict Ridge. Really nice track and quite challenging. Played it 2 or 3 times.

•  

I was hoping this topic would catch your eye Heel.  I'll get to go down there every quarter give or take, and hopefully I can squeak in a round or two.  I'll have to check out.  Thanks guys and keep the recommendations coming.

•  

Josh

Catch my eye? You stuck a finger in it man! OK, if you go every quarter I need to give you lots of advice.

You might consider flying into Greensboro, which is about an hour to the east. If you do, it opens up a bunch of other courses you can play, like the Grandover Resort courses. There are 36 holes right around where Interstates 85 and 40 split. Wonderful courses and then it's a short hop to where ever you're going in CLT.

Another place I played was Birkdale, an Arnold Palmer course right on Rte 77 near Mooresville. Nice track and reasonable to play.

You can also take in the Ballantyne Resort south of CLT. Never played there, but heard good things.

• 267 points

If you are a member at a club, your pro might be able to get you on The Club at Irish Creek, which is a very strong Davis Love III redo of the old Kannapolis Country Club.

It is quite good.

I have also played Birkdale GC in Huntersville which is north of downtown and Regent Park in Fort Mill, SC, which is south of downtown. Both are fine. They won't go down on your list of favorite places ever, but they are very solid.

• 3539 points

Good suggestions by all. TPC Piper Glen and Irish Creek are both great courses but, are private. It might take a couple of phone calls to get on there. Verdict Ridge and Olde Sycamore are great semi-private venues and well worth playing. I'll also mention Stonebridge GC which is in Monroe (about 20-25 mins east of Charlotte).  

•  

I'm loving it.  I can't wait to get out there, it might FREAKING SNOW again in New England...

Tar Heel

Josh

Catch my eye? You stuck a finger in it man! OK, if you go every quarter I need to give you lots of advice.

You might consider flying into Greensboro, which is about an hour to the east. If you do, it opens up a bunch of other courses you can play, like the Grandover Resort courses. There are 36 holes right around where Interstates 85 and 40 split. Wonderful courses and then it's a short hop to where ever you're going in CLT.

Another place I played was Birkdale, an Arnold Palmer course right on Rte 77 near Mooresville. Nice track and reasonable to play.

You can also take in the Ballantyne Resort south of CLT. Never played there, but heard good things.

•  

Hey guys, I just got back from Charlotte and it gets harder to leave every time.  I'm a big fan of NC.  I snuck in 3 rounds while I was down there and played Birkdale, Verdict Ridge (loved it), and Rock Barn (an easy but really fun and scenic track).

I'm not a member to any CC's but I appreciate all the suggestions.  If anyone's got some more good tracks in the greater Charlotte area (or within an hr North of Charlotte) please let me know!

• 332 points

I don't know if it's private of not but check out Cowan's Ford...really good track and always in good shape. It is about 5 miles from Birkdale.

•  

Josh

OK, sounds like you know your way around, so lots of options. Consider flying in to Greensboro and driving over. It's about an hour-ish. If you do that you can play Grandover Resort, which is very near the airport. It's a 36 hole track and includes a lovely spa you can go to apres golf! You'll enjoy it. And in the area is a track called Mill Creek in Burlington. It was actually the course that Payne Stweart played after winning the US Open in Pinehurst because his caddie lives nearby. Sorty little track....

You also could make the drive to Chapel Hill and play the Finley Course at UNC. A classic course that was re-done by Tom Fazio in 1998. Just a great place. And if you do that, play the Duke Course, which is a really tough and fun RT Jones. The drive from there back to CLT is 2.5 hours. I did it all the time and is a piece of cake.

•  

Heading back to NC so I figured I'd resurrect this thread.  I'm thinking Olde Sycamore might be the track I sneak out to this time.  I couldn't fly into Greensboro and I have to spend the majority of my time in Hickory/Conover then to Charlotte, but I penciled in a golf day.  Anybody else wanna chime in with anything near Charlotte or even in way Northern South Carolina?

• 3539 points

If you are looking in Northern SC and have an entire day Tega Cay might be an option. They have 27 holes and it's a pretty good layout.

http://tegacaygolfclub.com/

• 3506 points

joshgiano,  go an hour north of the Queen City and check out what Greensboro has to offer!  Plenty of solid golf. Hit up Stamey's BBQ after the round for some amazing pulled pork (cheap, too!)