Forums

Golf in Massachusetts

•  

Hello All,

Late last summer I moved to the North Shore of Massachusetts and I am looking for some good course recommendations.  I've played Sagamore MA, Hillview, and Tewksbury CC.  I have Pine Hills, Granite Links, and Red Tail on the list.

If anyone knows any hidden gems I would greatly appreciate it.

I like to walk, I don't mind long or difficult tracks, but most importantly I look for good greens and a variety of holes.  I'm willing to drive but anything North or West of Boston or even in Souther New Hampshire would be great.

What do you have for me?

•  

Stow Acres in Stow, MA is a great place.  It is just inside Rt. 495 (just north of where the Pike crosses).  www.stowacres.com is the website.  The north course hosted the 1995 US PubLinks Championship.  I have played it and it is worth the ride.  Prices are very reasonable.

•  

Thanks Todd.  That's a new one for me.  I posted this question on Team Titleist and got some good responses.  I figured I would share this for all the other Massholes out there.

Shaker Hills, Harvard, MA (always a local favorite and ranked high)

Red Tail Golf Club, Devens/Ayer, MA  (very nice but too pricey IMO, worth playing though every so often but I usually play during edge season rates)

Meadow Creek, Dracut, MA (Good conditions and overall nice track)

Butter Brook, Westford, MA (played a couple times and liked it)

Trull Brook, Tewksbury, MA (some odd 90 degree dogleg holes but overall a nice place to play)

Cyprian Keyes GC, West Boylston, MA (My 'home club' - about 50 minutes from you, good conditions, TOUGH layout that makes you place the ball, only hit driver a few times a round if you want to score)

The Pinehills, Plymouth, MA (always rated well,  2 courses worth playing)

Crosswinds Golf Club, Plymouth, MA (great value, cheaper than others in that area and good conditions)

Sagamore Springs, Lynnefiled, MA (haven't played in a LONG time, but I recall as being decent and it is close to you)

Gannon Municipal, Lynn, MA (haven't played in a long time, good course though and has a view of Boston)

The Meadow, Peobody, MA (have not actually played but heard good things - they held a qualifier for one of the MGA tourneys last year or the year before.)

Shining Rock, Northbridge, MA (just started playing here....newer course, GREAT greens, good value for $)

Highfields, Grafton, MA  (can be tough to get out weekend mornings due to blocked times for inner club members)

Campbells Scottish Highlands, Salem, MA (I played in a league here for a few years, pretty good conditions and you can go low)

Beverly Golf and Tennis, Beverly MA (reasonable prices and a good layout, hosts the High School Championships)

•  
    Nice list! I agree on Red Tail - not worth the money. Pinehills is a great place for 36 in the summer. 18 on each! Unfortunately, after this morning, it will be a while before they open. Low temps this weekend will be below zero...
    • 3627 points

Pinehills is overpriced and not too interesting. Plus its impossible to walk. 

Check out George Wright in Boston. Fun old Ross muni.

•  

Great Listing, I have never heard of quiet a few of these.  I will have to give them a shot this summer. 

Thanks for the tips...

-Brian

• 2628 points

The courses  that have already been mentioned are wonderful. If you want to take a trip to The Cape  you could try New Seabury or The Captains Course (Brewster).  Best to try The Cape Courses in The Fall or Spring when the tourist traffic is down.                       The International in Bolton has two courses-one of which claims to be the world's longest).

•  

This is my new favorite post. I will print it so I can get some of these courses under my belt this summer. Anyone care to join?!

•  

dzabkar

This is my new favorite post. I will print it so I can get some of these courses under my belt this summer. Anyone care to join?!

I play most of these when I play.  Let me know if you're getting out, weather the course is on this list or not.  I'm always down for golf!

•  

joshgiano

dzabkar

I play most of these when I play.  Let me know if you're getting out, weather the course is on this list or not.  I'm always down for golf!

Whenever I find the time my man. But I surely will.

Thanks