Forums

PORT ST. LUCIE, PGA VILLAGE, ANYONE PLAYED THERE?

•  

ME AND MY GOLFING BUDDIES HAVE BOOKED A GOLF TRIP TO THE PGA VILLAGE IN PORT ST. LUCIE, FL.  WE WILL BE PLAYING THERE (ALL 3 COURSES) ON THE 15TH, 16TH AND 17TH OF MARCH.  HAS ANYONE BEEN THERE?  WHAT WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE LIKE?  WOULD APPRECIATE COMMENTS. 

THANKS.....GRAMPS

• 19 points

Bruce, I played the PGA Vilage courses in Port St. Lucie late summer 2010 - EXCELLENT COURSES - you will enjoy. Staff will be very attentive and treat you well, courses were well maintained.

When I was there, the DYE Course was closed for maintenance/areation - so can not tell you anything about it.

The RYDER Course is the easiet. Fairly open, reasonably flat (compared to Wannamaker). I played one set up from the tips - 6600 yards, I think the Slope was 128. Greens have pretty good slope on many - so stay below the hole if you can. There is water, but only seriously in play on 2 or 3 holes. Shot 71 - so have great memories - especially holing a 8 footer for a sandie on #18 to finish one under. Play this course for your warm up.

The WANNAMAKER Course is VERY good. The locals I played with told me it is much better than the Dye (not tricked up were the comments) and the best course for many miles in the area. Much more rolling fairways than the Ryder (no big hills - you are in South Florida - but they moved a lot of dirt to 'sculpt' the fairways). You'll get many uneven lies. Water more in play - usually tighter to the green/fairway than the Ryder Course. Deeper bunkers. Deeper rough than the Ryder (stay out of it!). Slope was about 140 from one set up from the tips. High handicappers will be chalenged to recover around the greens - Low handicappers will love this course.

Excellent practice facility. I don't remember there being GPS on the carts (I took my SkyCaddie - so did not need one).

The other course in the area I played that I would strongly recommend if you also plan to go elsewhere is Hammock Creek. A Nicklaus design. Lots of room to hit the driver but tightens up considerably as you get near the greens. Florida Club was also a good track. Also played Eagle Marsh in Jensen Beach - did not care for it - as it's build very low and the 'stuff' growing from the marsh often makes it impossible to see where you need to hit the ball if you don't have a tour gide. 

•  

I played down there in August and it was rather enjoyable. I thought the rates were shockingly low.

The greens were fast for bermuda grass.  Overall condition was excellent.

I also played the Ryder and the Wanamaker and the Wanamaker was definitely the more difficult of the 2.  However; that being said I was 4 or 5 under par through 13 at the Wanamaker then had to leave for a concert.  I could of went really low that day.

Also if you are staying in PGA Village do not be surprised if the "Wakenhut" give you a hard time.

•  

Thanks guys for the information.  Very much appreciated.  Gramps