Forums

Opinions on Chambers Bay?

• 568 points

Just curious if anyone caught coverage of the U.S. Amateur. (Congrats, Peter & Wally U!) I had read/heard a lot about Chambers Bay and how it was designed to play like a true links, but couldn't believe how brown it was. Didn't watch a whole lot of the play, but was fascinated to see honest-to-goodness links-style golf played on U.S. soil, especially in a major tournament.

Hopefully, U.S. golfers will warm to the idea of browner courses and run-up shots. Will be interested to see if the USGA lets Chambers get that firm for the 2015 Open. I'm guessing some tweaks will be made before the big boys arrive.

•  

Not too bad looking for the most part. But I did not watch extensively the way I do a PGA event, so I don't want to criticize it in any way.

• 849 points

I liked Chamber Bay a lot. Firm, fast and rewards an inventive mind. I'm a huge fan of brown is better. My one concern about Chambers is the difficulty for spectators. They probably had 1000 spectators around the course and they had to scramble up sides of dunes and traverse waist high fescue fields. They will have to address this before 2015. Many great courses have not gotten events because of this issue, and an untested course built within the last 10 years gets the nod. Suspect. I'm all for new courses being let in the game but I haven't heard anyone complain about the classic courses like Oakmont, Oakland Hills and Bellerive.

•  

I just noticed we have 2 Nathans in our midst. Not sure, but that's a unique name and here we have a couple partners in FJ. Cool!

I watched the US Am on tape again last night. Have to admit, there are some extremes out there. I'm sure the USGA will have a blast tricking it up even more for the Open in 2015. But that question of spectators (and bunkers?) will be a big deal again out there.

• 568 points

I think holding the Amateur at Chambers five years before the Open gives the USGA plenty of time to smooth those rough edges.

Wonder if they'll hire "Open Doctor" Rees Jones to tweak his brother Robert Jr.'s pride and joy... Those two don't care much for each other as it is.

Oh, and I looked it up: Only 0.185% of guys in the US are named Nathan. So I guess it's kind of unique!

•  

I loved watching that course on TV. Can't wait for 2015. I traveled to Scotland in 1989 and played many great courses - still cherish those memories.

A 16-year-old kid on my son's high school team was there. He had a great day qualifying for it - shot 5-under over 36 holes.

He shot 79-89 in the stroke play - guess which round was on Chambers Bay? The poor kid came home with a wicked case of tendonitis in his left wrist from hitting down on that hard turf. He finally played again today so all is good.

About the fescue grass all over the course - fairways, rough, tees and greens - what don't more courses do that? My course here in southern New Hampshire browned out too, but it's dead not dormant. They said on TV that the root structure is 11 inches deep! I think they did a great job building that course. The 2015 Open will be a blast!

• 2989 points

i am torn between really enjoying this place and think its a little quirky.  It is a beautiful piece of land,and would be a great place to watch the best in the world play at.  my only concern is will the USGA go overboard on this course.  because it is VERY possible.

•  

Caught a bit of the coverage of the semi-finals and the final.  The holes I noted seemed quite quirky.  Hard to say if they are a good test of golf, though, because it's so different from other courses one usually sees.  Links-style play not found much here in the U.S.  Sort of like sending the amateurs to The Old Course to see how they do, but much more tricked out.

• 568 points

I heard that info about the fescue, too. I think it grows best in a temperate, damp climate, a la Puget Sound and Scotland. Not sure how it would fare in New Hampshire.

It's interesting that Chambers Bay uses a single grass type for the entire course. Don't see that very often. Even in the South, the bermuda on the greens is usually a different strain from the bermuda on fairways and tees.

•  

KINDA BEEN HOLDING BACK TO SEE WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT.

IF YOU WANT TO HOLD A MAJOR ON A LINKS COURSE, KIAWAHS OCEAN COURSE MAKES THIS PLACE LOOK LIKE THE WINDMILL HOLE AT YOUR LOCAL PUTT-PUTT.

IMO IT IS TOTALLY JAZZED UP

GO NEXT DOOR TO BANDON,,NOT THIS PLACE.

• 568 points

Dogloski – Not sure I agree with your take on Chambers Bay, but wholeheartedly support your endorsement of Kiawah's Ocean Course. Incredible track!

• 3627 points

I played Chambers Bay about a year ago. It's a fantastic experience and a very cool golf course. Well worth the trip out to play.