Forums

A new course for me but an old course that still draws'em in...

• 1281 points

I recently found the East Potomac Golf Course and was pleasently suprised. This is a course in the greater DC area I didn't know existed. It has somehow flown under my radar probably because its not upscale and is accessible to anyone. That said, It was easy to get on, has an 18 and a par 3, practice facilities, and... is a very historic location. The Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial are in view on several holes as is the Potomac River. It was easy to walk due to the lack of terrain (it's really flat) and the greens, which are large by my standards were in great shape. If you're in the area and tired of visiting museums and the other historic sites you should check it out. Aloha form DC!

•  

I'm going to be in DC next month and have a morning free. I will have to go check it out. Thanks!

• 1281 points

Enjoy yourself and bring your camera. I'll try to post a pic from my round there.

•  

It's quite interesting that there are many communities with very playable, older courses that get overlooked. The courses were built in days gone by and in some cases by well known architects of the day.

We appreciate hearing about places like this, because while they may not show up on the "Top 100" places to play, they are still great challenges and venues.

•  

Going to try to go and play it on Friday am. Did a little research and it looks to be a Walter Travis/ Robert Wright design so I am really looking forward to it with my love of golf courses from the Golden Age. Thanks for the tip!

•  

that was a fun round. can't beat 31 dollars with the views of the monuments. plus a 4 hour 4 ball round is the best! they could do a little work on the course with trees and such and some of the old travis greens still had their bones. 

thanks for the tip.

• 1281 points

MG, I'm glad someone took the time to try it out. I hope you had as good a time as me. Sorry I didn't get the pics posted, I haven't cracked that code yet but maybe you took some of your own. Hit'em staight, TP

• 3627 points

I'll be sure to check it out the next time I'm in the area.