Forums

Golfweek's Top Munis for 2009-10

•  

thought everyone would like to read this article...

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/may/06/golfweeks-best-municipal-courses-2009-10/

•  

played bethpage red last week, that whole place (5 courses) is amazing. top notch facility.

•  

Who does these things. There is no way that Witonbury Hills is better than the Red @ Bethpage. 

•  

Golfweek’s Best: Municipal Courses (2009-2010)

1. Bethpage State Park (Black) 8.07
    Farmingdale, N.Y.
    1935, A.W. Tillinghast; Rees Jones (1998)

17. Bethpage State Park (Red) 5.53
    Farmingdale, N.Y.
    1935, A.W. Tillinghast

32. Hominy Hill 5.36
    Colts Neck, N.J.
    1965, Robert Trent Jones Sr.

These  are the closest to me from the list and I do look forward to playing those.  Good post lefty.

•  

Interesting. I've only played the courses at Indian Wells in Palm Springs that are listed. I am also playing Harborside International in Chicago later this year. Seem to be missing some.....

•  

Wow,lots to type there. Thanx for the information.

•  

After reading thru all of the courses, I noted that I can't recall ever seeing any of the Illinois golf courses listed when I was a kid and gramps played. Never heard of any of the ones listed. Must be getting old. The only course that was the hot shot was Tam O'Shanter in Niles and that is now a public 9 hole and from what I have heard is no longer anything like what it used to be. Progress really stinks at times.

•  

I feel pretty lucky as I have gotten to play 3 of the ones lised.

#12 Thunderhawk, amazing course and well worth the $ and spot at #12.

#13 Shepards Crook, also a great track, and much more forgiving than Thunderhawk. One of my favorites, but am surprised it is this high on the list to be honest....

#46 Brown Deer Park, great old course layout (i.e TIGHT) but you will not have a fun day if you spray the ball. Just hope with them loosing the PGA tournement that they keep it up in the shape it has been previouse years.

Will be playing Washington County (#35) this summer for sure as I have heard good things about it..

Shaun

• 3627 points

shaun13

I feel pretty lucky as I have gotten to play 3 of the ones lised.

#12 Thunderhawk, amazing course and well worth the $ and spot at #12.

#13 Shepards Crook, also a great track, and much more forgiving than Thunderhawk. One of my favorites, but am surprised it is this high on the list to be honest....

#46 Brown Deer Park, great old course layout (i.e TIGHT) but you will not have a fun day if you spray the ball. Just hope with them loosing the PGA tournement that they keep it up in the shape it has been previouse years.

Will be playing Washington County (#35) this summer for sure as I have heard good things about it..

Shaun

Shepards Crook is very good and somewhat inexpensive for courses close to Chicago. Plus its usually pretty easy to get on and play a quick round.