Forums

Harbor Shores Golf Club, SW Michigan

• 2246 points

Tar Heel
    I couldn't wait to get away from there. Hated it.

You perfectly summed up my 18 years of living there.  I couldn't wait to get out.  Moved to Pittsburgh for college and never looked back.  I've been back once after my parents moved away in '95 since.

First played The Oaks in '90.  I hadn't heard that Berrien Hills went public, probably not enough Whirlpool execs and FIPs to keep it afloat as private.  I used to go to the driving range across the street from The Oaks after school all the time.  Being a high school kid, I played mostly the low rent courses.  Pebblewood, Paw Paw Lake, Pipestone Creek, and even Blossom Trails were in my rotation.  There was a course down near Dowagiac , which I can't remember the name, that had a student special where you could play weekdays for $3.  Played a lot of rounds there.  If I was feeling particularly frisky with my money, we'd play Lake Michigan Hills.

Never played Point O' Woods either, but walked the ground a few times for the Western Am.  Watched Phil Mickelson win it, got to meet him, and his playing partner for the first two rounds was Michael Jordan.  

• 2246 points

DB9Boilers

I was just asking my buddy about the course we played for his morning wedding day round and it was the Oaks.  He also told me that the closed up shop.  Pretty crazy.

Wow, really small world around here.  The Oaks, from what I remember was a tale of two 9s.  The front was pretty flat and straightforward, but the back had a lot of hills and turns.  The back was probably my favorite 9 holes in the area.

•  

kmcmellen
    Tar Heel I couldn't wait to get away from there. Hated it.

You perfectly summed up my 18 years of living there.  I couldn't wait to get out.  Moved to Pittsburgh for college and never looked back.  I've been back once after my parents moved away in '95 since.

First played The Oaks in '90.  I hadn't heard that Berrien Hills went public, probably not enough Whirlpool execs and FIPs to keep it afloat as private.  I used to go to the driving range across the street from The Oaks after school all the time.  Being a high school kid, I played mostly the low rent courses.  Pebblewood, Paw Paw Lake, Pipestone Creek, and even Blossom Trails were in my rotation.  There was a course down near Dowagiac , which I can't remember the name, that had a student special where you could play weekdays for $3.  Played a lot of rounds there.  If I was feeling particularly frisky with my money, we'd play Lake Michigan Hills.

Never played Point O' Woods either, but walked the ground a few times for the Western Am.  Watched Phil Mickelson win it, got to meet him, and his playing partner for the first two rounds was Michael Jordan.

Ah yes, the dog tracks of SW Michigan..... You wouldn't recognize it today my friend. Very different from when I moved there in '01, and certainly from 1995.

The Western Am is moved away from the Pointe, since the members were cranky at giving up their course for the event. Been gone since '11-'12. All the local energy and cash is flowing into Harbor Shores, so POW is even struggling to retain members. Different scene up there now for sure.

I will tell you, every week I miss the crew up at Hawkshead. They became real friends, and I stay in touch with them still. Wonderful course, great people, and the Inn is so nice. With fall arriving I miss them even more.... but not enough to go back!