Forums

Another Hit to Golf

•  

While looking at golf.com last night I came across an article on courses to play in South Carolina. Since we have discussed Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head in 2009, I figured I'd take a peak and see what the golf writers had to say.

Well imagine my surprise when I found out that Dafuskie Island and it's golf resort was closed with about $1.0 million in back debt. For those unaware, Dafuskie is only accessable by ferry boat, and you are then transported around the island by the resort vehicles. There are several course over there (Melrose, Bloddy Point) that are still open, but the closing of the resort will surely doom the courses. Having played the courses, as indicated in the article, these picturesque facilities are top notch.

Sad to get this news.

•  

Couldn't agree more, Tar Heel. My wife and I were actually married on Daufuskie and spent a long weekend there with about 120 guests. One of the greatest weekends of our lives! We were planning to return this year for our 5 year anniversary only to learn that they had closed! We couldn't believe it. The resort was incredible, has been featured on the Travel Channel, had been featured on a season of The Bachelor and appeared to be ready to take off as a great "hidden gem" destination down south. Apparently they had some major problems! Such a shame. Great location, great resort and three terrific golf courses, led by the exclusive Haig Point.

•  

Hopefully they will be able to find someone to get them open again. Sounds like a great place for a gret away and some golf. hate to see a quality place close down.

if it a top notch location don't be surprised if the Donald does not pick it up and make it a gem again.

•  

A million dollars owed really isn't that bad and I can imagine someone will pick it up.  Would be a waste to see courses go unused.

•  

Chris

You got married over there? Wow, sweet deal for you and the Mrs. It was beautiful and I'm sure you all had an awesome event. Probably was off the hook for an event like that.

I only went once, and we played Melrose. Memorable because one of my playing partners played "shankopotamus" and drilled me in the back of the head from 100 yards out. Gashed my head about an inch and I bled like crazy. And as you know, since it is an island, you can only leave when the ferry is there. So, I played on and finished my round, while wiping the blood off the back of my head.

You should have seen those cart dudes when we pulled up after the round with a bunch of towels (formerly white) all blood soaked and flying from the carts. Totally hilarious. But Ol' Tar Heel sucked it up and made every round and managed to finish my vacation. My wife was ticked. Ironically the guy that hit me is still a great friend!

So I have equally inspired memories as you Chris!

•  

EMKelly0106

A million dollars owed really isn't that bad and I can imagine someone will pick it up.  Would be a waste to see courses go unused.

Do you think they will take a check?

•  

Well, shoot -- I always thought that sounded like a cool place to go. Isn't it by Harbour Town?

•  

bholley

EMKelly0106

Do you think they will take a check?

I wonder if they would take AMEX, I could use the points!

• 3627 points

Any idea if Dafuskie has reopened?