Forums

Flying with Clubs

•  

Chris

Awesome for you. I've had meetings at the resort there, but never played golf at the course. It is beautiful and you'll have a gas!

• 1232 points

Championsgate seems really nice and i would love to play there someday . It would be cool to compare the other course Norman has designed in orlando at the ritz carlton.  The course was very nice with plenty of bunkers on everyhole.  would be cool to see how the other courses compare

•  

As for the bag,most airlines will not be responsible for damage to clubs unless the bag is a hard shell one.

•  

SKB makes a good hard shell travel case that fits a standard size cart bag. It's a bit bulky and heavy but it will get the job done !

•  

PLEASE, WHEN YOU GET BACK LET US KNOW WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCES WERE AND IF YIU WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

THANX

•  

Take your own, it can be somewhat of a hastle but its better than getting somewhere and having to play with beat up crap that some courses use as rentals. 

•  

I have been lucky enough to take my clubs around the world without one mishap-LUCKY!!!!

I give the credit to CLUB GLOVE and stuffing the top with rain gear(FOOTOY of course) and towels.

It may be big and heavy but it sure does the job.

•  

Championsgate was a great track. The resort is also home to the David Leadbetter Academy, so I saw lots of students, including Suzann Petterson!

Played the International Course on Day 1. It's the links side that hosts the Father-Son Challenge, so it was fun to see and play holes I've seen on TV. It was crazy windy that day. I am not a links fan, but I rarely complain when the golf is free! Some interesting holes that made you think hard about club selection.

Day 2 was much more fun for me because The National Course has trees and much more visual interest. It's still linksy in that it doesn't come back to the clubhouse, but the narrower fairways helped me focus more on my swing. About a million bunkers total on both courses. Hey, sand is cheap! And couldn't forget the obligatory gator shot: -- a ChampionsGator? Gives new meaning to the term "hazard."

Was not able to figure out Bermuda greens in my two days there. Breaks are apparently an apparition.

By the way, the rental clubs worked out well. A full bag of ladies' Callaways -- Big Bertha driver and fairway woods, and irons with a wide sole, cavity back and full offset. Much different than my current (read OLD) irons, and I swung them well. May have to look seriously at new irons this year. I actually hit a 4 iron, something I haven't done in years. Only thing weird was that there were no hybrids in the bag.

•  

I use my Club Glove bag with the Club Glove arm inserted to protect my driver..also, wrapped your irons with your golf towels.  My bag is large enough for shoes and clothes, which also protect your clubs.

•  

i have an SKB golf travel case . works great but it is a bit heavy

•  

Flying out for 9 days in Texas tomorrow morning.  Clubs are packed and ready to go in my Clubglove with Stiff Arm. Clubs are all wrapped in towels.....  I hope 3 will be enough.    Got 6 lbs to play with before hit 50 lbs.....  I think 2 pairs of Icons will hold me over!  LOL

•  

I cant imagine playing rentals, all you need is a Club Glove and Stiff Arm!

•  

My only experience with rental clubs was so bad that I don't want to repeat it. After that I always travel with my a second clubs set. Even they aren't my first choice I know them very well and can make a good game. 

•  

Flying with clubs is no big deal.  Pack em, pad em with a couple of shirts or something and check em in.  They'll be fine. Lugging them from the car to the check in and back is all the lugging you have to do.

Rental clubs just don't do the trick. There's nothing like your own clubs.

•  
    Josh - I agree with the packing advice. 2 words of warning: 1) Don't pack too much so the bag is over the weight limit and you are subject to extra fees 2) Watch the airlines for extra checked baggage fees. One suggestion - if you can ship the clubs via a UPS or FedEx, it might be a good option..,