Forums

Flying with Clubs

•  

Ok, most of you know I am headed to Orlando at the end of the month for the PGA Show, and that I'll get to play a couple of times while I'm there. What are your thoughts on lugging my clubs along (remember, I'm a single female with clothes for a week, traveling with another single female, my boss) vs. packing my FootJoys, gloves, some ProV1s, etc. and renting clubs?

We're flying Southwest, so the cost of taking the clubs isn't the issue -- it's hauling them around. I'm thinking this may be a chance to try out some clubs I wouldn't otherwise play -- I'm playing courses I haven't played before, so I'm not looking for a low score anyway. What do you think?

•  

Take your own with you. Beg, borrow or steal a Club Glove wheeled travel bag and it isn't a big deal to get around with them.

I have played quite a few of the greater Orlando courses (I have a vacation home there) and they really do not cater to women who need rental clubs. The only place that does a decent job of it is Disney.

It isn't worth the chance of not getting a set that you can enjoy your golf with.

Have fun!

•  

I have never rented clubs, so I'm not sure what you are getting into there. I'm guessing it's very different at each place. I figure flying already takes forever so why not throw your clubs in too? Do have a good golf travel bag? I need to find one before March.

•  

This would be a good chance to try other clubs -  just make sure that you can rent what you want from the courses you are planning on playing.  Otherwise -  hard travel case with small bag (should leave room for other items) -  put shoes and most of your golf necessities in the hard case.

Of course -  maybe you could work with a club rep to set you up with equipment to try.

GO HOKIES -  have fun in the sun and let's hope it's warm for you there.

•  

Pack them it can be a hassel but with wheels on the bags and friendly sky caps its worth it. I have only used rentals once and only because someone stole mine, well actually they didn't get stolen I left them in someone's car. When I finally figured out what happened I called her but she hung up. Hey it had only been 6 weeks

•  

realwomengolf

I have never rented clubs, so I'm not sure what you are getting into there. I'm guessing it's very different at each place. I figure flying already takes forever so why not throw your clubs in too? Do have a good golf travel bag? I need to find one before March.

I would bring your own and then you know what you are playing with, have rented in the past and would assume the selection of lefty clubs and women's clubs are very similar, and if they are you won't be happy!

RWG, if you find a good travel bag let me know, looking to get one also for my next business trip down to Dallas.

Shaun

•  

I have a good wheeled bag, though it's 8 or 9 years old. The best ones I've seen on the market are ClubGlove and Ogio. Ogio has a "train" system that allows you to link other wheeled luggage (including theirs, of course) to the club bag with a link handle. I may get in touch with my Ogio guy and see what I can do.

I checked club rentals available at a couple of the courses and found Titleist and TaylorMade.

•  

GC

The advice about Disney is solid; they rent a full bag/suite of Callaway Golf stuff fairly cheaply. I am not sure about the others we've discussed. The advice to get (buy) a Club Glove "Last Bag" is on point. Over the years I have owned at least 4 travel covers, but my Club Glove has lasted 10 plus years.... They are as advertised!

As for renting versus "lugging".... I'm a lefty, so I'm in that discrimanted against category like ladies; you get "what they have and will like it!" I NEVER go without my gear, even if it's a single round and I'm lugging just to make the tee time. It just takes all the other associated BS off the table and you can focus on the golf. I know you're not zeroed in on score, but the comfort of your own clubs is worth the hassel. Plus I would recommend shipping them down in advance, via FedEx, and you can go point to point for about $120 round trip. Sounds like alot, but your gear is waiting for you! Viola! I did this last February when I went to Palm Desert, and it was so pleasureable. No hassles or worries at all. Good luck!

•  

Tar Heel

The advice about Disney is solid; they rent a full bag/suite of Callaway Golf stuff fairly cheaply. I am not sure about the others we've discussed. The advice to get (buy) a Club Glove "Last Bag" is on point. Over the years I have owned at least 4 travel covers, but my Club Glove has lasted 10 plus years.... They are as advertised!

The Club Glove bag is absolutely the best on the market. Mine has about 150,000 miles on it and it is as good as new.

Tar Heel, I don't know when the last time you were at Disney but they have been Titleist/Cobra exclusive for the last 6 years (at least). I play at least 35 rounds a year there and it is very easy to spot all of the rental sets, Titlest or Cobra staff bags with the Disney Golf logo on them.

• 1281 points

We always take our own clubs. We're headed to Florida this month as well. The wife and I both have Club Glove Pro style travel bags with wheels and monogrammed. You can usually pack some clothes and at least two pairs of shoes in it because it's that big, but it isn't hard to manuever around. If you decide to spend the money, get the peice that is sold seperately called a "strong back" or something to that effect. It fits in the bag and extends to support the full length and weight instead of possibly exerting any excess pressure on your driver's shaft as it is probably the longest club in your bag. We tried several hard cases over the years but the buckles and latches usually broke or failed at some point and I got tired of using duct tape every time TSA wanted to look in the bag.

•  

I take mine whenever I travel to play but if you aren't interested in your score and won't care, then renting may be easier for you.  It's great to have your own clubs but if the score isn't important and you are just playing for the sake of playing, rent.

Why risk losing your clubs or having them break because of handling when you don't even care how the round ends up? 

As far as travel gear, I use the Titleist club bag and seems to work find for me.  Have used it quite a bit and have yet to have problems. 

Have fun and good luck!

•  

Thanks for the news on Titleist in Disney. My last round there on a Disney course was 2001, so I missed the "transition!" But you are spot on, you get a bag full of great gear to try for a fair price.

It sounds like we could do a Club Glove commercial here at FJ. Not sure my mileage racks up to yours, but it might! I know that it has performed way beyond any other product and looks like new. And as has been mentioned, the "Strong Arm" is a great accessory to add so your driver doesn't get broken.

As fate would have it, the fine folks at Delta snapped the head off a driver on my way home one time. Went right out for the accessory and no issues since.

Thanks again 19! 

•  

I use  a Club Glove (with wheels) and a stiff arm when I fly with my clubs.  Knock on wood I've never had a problem with clubs being damaged.  I wrap the heads of my  irons  & wedges with towels for a little extra protection. 

•  

johndeere10

I use  a Club Glove (with wheels) and a stiff arm when I fly with my clubs.  Knock on wood I've never had a problem with clubs being damaged.  I wrap the heads of my  irons  & wedges with towels for a little extra protection. 

I would have to echo johndeere10's comments. I use a club glove with a speed stick instead of a stiff arm. I also wrap several towels through my clubs. I too haven't had a problem yet. The club glove comes highly recommended.

•  

We have decided to play the two courses at Championsgate on successive days -- and also found out they have new sets of Callaways for ladies, so we are leaving the clubs at home. That way we can pack more stuff to go out to the other kind of clubs!!