Forums

Flying with Clubs

•  

I've just come back from the Bahamas and went for Diving more than golfing, so rented clubs: never again. They were nice clubs, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing like your own. It was a little like waving a brick attached to the end of a stick of liquorice. The wedges were the things that has the least feel. While this is an old post about travel I would recommend anyone travelling just to play golf should take their own. The hire charge was $45 per round too , so a few rounds and that adds up beyond any charge from the airline.

•  

Just putter alone would drive me crazy.. Ill gladly pay the robbers-airlines and take my stix anywhere!

Fairway finder

I've just come back from the Bahamas and went for Diving more than golfing, so rented clubs: never again. They were nice clubs, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing like your own. It was a little like waving a brick attached to the end of a stick of liquorice. The wedges were the things that has the least feel. While this is an old post about travel I would recommend anyone travelling just to play golf should take their own. The hire charge was $45 per round too , so a few rounds and that adds up beyond any charge from the airline.

•  

ToddL
    Josh - I agree with the packing advice. 2 words of warning: 1) Don't pack too much so the bag is over the weight limit and you are subject to extra fees 2) Watch the airlines for extra checked baggage fees. One suggestion - if you can ship the clubs via a UPS or FedEx, it might be a good option..,

Oh yeah.  I weighed my bag before I went.  50lbs is all you can do for JetBlue.  I packed 15 clubs (4 iron and 4 hybrid) some sweaters, a sweatshirt, two polos, rain gear, and two pairs of shoes with trees and came to 43lbs.  Good call though Todd, you don't want to get hit with fees.

•  

Interesting. I didn't know that you could put anything in the travel/golf bag when I flew to AZ on Delta, I thought it had to be golf and golf-related things, unless the sweatshirts and apparel counts as golf things?

•  
    kab012345

Interesting. I didn't know that you could put anything in the travel/golf bag when I flew to AZ on Delta, I thought it had to be golf and golf-related things, unless the sweatshirts and apparel counts as golf things?

As long as it goes over they don't care, I packed my diving fins and weight was 44 lbs!
  •  

Never leave home without my own clubs ! They travel safely with Club Stiff Arm in my padded, yellow trimmed Tour Trek Bag with wheels...Pack all my clothing in clear plastic pouches and put them in with my clubs. Trick is to take pieces that mix and match to can create different outfits....Will be pulling out the bag once again between Xmas & New Years to head to Bonadventure....

• 1441 points

Club Glove is the way to go wouldnt trade my for anything it is a life saver when flying.

• 352 points

I understand your concern about lugging the extra baggage, however since you want to try new clubs if you leave your clubs at home you will be forced to try new ones. I suggest you ship them ahead of time because will you get a full set while at the show? If you get clubs at the show and take your own set then you will have 2 sets to lug around the airport. 

Are you attending the show for business or pleasure?

•  

@ThinkParT, welcome to the community and thanks for the input. The post is actually several years old, and I did end up renting clubs in 2009 because the resort offered fairly new women's Callaway sents for rental clubs.

I go to the PGA Merchandise Show as a buyer of women's golf apparel, accessories and shoes for a Midwest women's golf merchandising company. It's an industry show, not for consumers, so you don't buy clubs or other merchandise there to take home. We are there to place our orders for summer and fall for our shops and for our website, www.mrs-golf.com

• 3500 points

Renting clubs in my opinion and experiences haven't been too fun seeing that courses usually have just some random sticks laying. If you are one who has everything custom fit, sometimes it can lead to a rough round or two.

Golf Travel bags (http://www.golftravelbags.com/) is a great company with great prices. Check them out.

This April will be my first ever time flying with my own clubs so I'm sure I'll have questions of my own. Enjoy the show, stop by FJ and fill us in on the swag!

• 3627 points

Renting clubs is the worst! No matter how difficult it is to fly with clubs it's always better than renting!

• 2637 points

I always feel more comfortable using my own sticks. When we are flying to a golf destination I try to find a direct flight on Southwest so the clubs travel free. With a wheeled Club Glove it is not a hassle

•  

zacho

I always feel more comfortable using my own sticks. When we are flying to a golf destination I try to find a direct flight on Southwest so the clubs travel free. With a wheeled Club Glove it is not a hassle

Have Club Glove, will travel.....

Never leave home without them (period)!!!!!

-ICONs for All

• 3627 points

If you dont mind sparing a couple days with your clubs around your trip its also worth looking into shipping your clubs.