Forums

Favorite International Course?

•  

Grand Lakes is an impressive course, indeed.  You made a solid choice there.  Hope you head back down to the states and enjoy some of our other courses sometime!

•  

Actually, after reviewing that comment, could that be the Ritz Grand Lakes in your profile image?!

• 1232 points

It is indeed I wanna say that Im on 15, very nice course, greens rolled unreal and i did manage to stay out of the fairway bunkers for the most part.  Found the course to be just what i want out of a golf course unlike my home course where it is fairly short at 6400 yards this course plays i think 7100 so i was able to not just use driver, 9 or pw.  It allowed me to use use a variety of my clubs while playing from the blacks

•  

I actually started to tear up as I was thinking about this subject.

I have been so fortunate to play all over the world at so many great courses.

Each has its THING.

Ballybunnion starts off with a cemetary right in front of you on the first tee and goes through magnificent natural dunes next to the water-wow.

Troon-heather in the weather(and me in the heather and gorse).

Carnoustie-The hardest course I have ever played

St.Andrews-died and went to heaven-i actually teared up on the 1 st tee the 1 st time and a local couple got a picture of it,got my address and mailed it to me-wow.

Turnbury Ailsa-Storm,sun,wife walking with me with umbrella turned inside out-wow.

Gleneagles-both courses I played were outstanding in an unbelieveable resort setting

Pusan(Korea) Golf Club-Little lady caddies that unfortunately keep your score for you and carry the bag which is bigger than them around the sides of mountains,back and forth. One fairway above the other.

So much more,,,,,

They are all the best the day you are playing them.

•  

Gotta tell this story about an international course.

The course is just outside of Palambang,Indonesia(Island of Sumatra).Palambang has about 1,500,000 people.

The course is in the middle of a jungle and has lots of water svsrywhere.

The caddies were barefooted.

Either the 2nd or 3rd hole I hit my ball about 15 feet from the edge of one of the lakes and as I started over to get it my caddie grabs my arm and says NO GO!! so, I stand back and the caddie walks over to one of several long pieces of bamboo looking sticks that were laying around near the esge of the lake.He picks one up and walks over near the waters edge and starts flailing the edge of the water near where my ball was laying. Well, the next thing I see are about 5-6 huge alligators take off from the edge of the water towards the middle of the lake.

The caddie looks over at me and is laughing his head off as I stand there trying to clean up the mess I had just made in my shorts. Later in the round, after I had plunked one in the water he pulls the smae ritual and then WALKS INTO THE WATER AND FINDS MY BALL!!!

Never forget that round.

This really happened.

•  

Royal Melbourne is an awesome course. I haven't played a lot overseas but this is my favorite so far.

•  

WOW, THE MELBOURNE SANDS AREA IS ONE OF MY DREAMS.

HOPE TO GET THERE SOON BEFORE I GET TOO OLD.

•  

I have traveled out of the country but never to play golf.  I would to travel to Great Britain, I would love to play St. Andrews.

Caddy13

• 1320 points

Postolowo in Poland.  Linksy, affordable, but don't rent clubs there.  Horrible clubs and overpriced

• 2989 points

I would have to say without a doubt the best course international course that i have ever played its Cape Kidnappers in New Zeland!!!!!  No questions about it.  Its were they play the Kiwi Challange

• 40 points

As I go to the Philippines quite often, every couple of years . I have had the pleasure of playing the Orchard country club. It's a thirty six hole course with two courses designed by two of our well known golfers. I played the  Arnold Palmer course. It was quite nice There is also a course designed by Gary Player. The Johnny Walker classic was played there . On my most recent trip I had the pleasure of playing the Sherwood Hills country club it is also a Palmer course, it offered challenges not found on any course that I have played on here in America in recent memory. The fairways were narrow with any errant ball finding rough that is just what the name implys ,rough and it took careful planning to find the right shot to get out the greens were cut short and putted relatively slow There was water hazards and sand bunkers on almost every hole. And another golf course that was just fun to play was the Royale tagaytay country club, it's a short  mostly par three executive course that featured tight fairways and water on almost every hole sand bunkers and mounds protected each hole . small little greens  if your a short game player you should do quite well there with the longest hole being 268 yds.

•  

SHANSKY, THAT IS VERY INTERESTING.

THE LAST TIME I PLAYED ST.ANDREWS I PLAYED WITH A GROUP OF GUYS FROM THE OLD CZECHOSLOVAKIA(SP).

THEY TOLD ME THAT WHEN THEY WERE PART OF THE OLD SOVIET UNION THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY GOLF IN THEIR COUNTRY.

I WONDER IF THAT WAS TRUE THROUGHOUT THE OLD SOVIET UNION?

• 40 points

Yes I was thinking that I should of told about the Club Intramuros , Manila. It is a short par 66 course measuring 4,326 yards that was built in 1907 around the site of the original Minila a stone  walled city that the Spanish built in 1591 -94 to protect them from an impending Chinese attack. After the Americans were ceded the city in 1872 they set about filling in the moat that once surrounded the city and it was the future site of the golf course . This is a short game players paridise sure to test your skills on every hole with tight fairways with water and out of bounds on almost every hole. The most unusual thing I found about playing there as I was waiting for my other three players to show up was when a golf course worker ,a small Philippino woman asked me if I was going to pratice hitting balls on the range . As I had time I was there early , I thought it might not hurt as the last time I was able to play was in the first week of Dec. I got some clubs at the driving range as I didn't bring mine on this trip . I walked out to the hitting area and this woman was sitting on a short stool she said are you going to hit sir , I told her I was going to hit a bucket or two she then told me to come over to her and she proceeded to make a tee out of sand which I was to hit he ball off of . I would no more than hit one and another one was placed ready for me to hit again. She would place the ball on the ground for iron play replacing the ball just as soon as it was hit. I loved this as this is the worst art of praticing on the driving range , the constant bending down and teeing the ball or whatever. This woman also became my caddy once my playing partners arrived . She knew all of the yardages on every hole and would line up the putts and tell me half ball inside left sir  or whatever the shot required bringing the game to a whole different level.

• 1281 points

Singapore Island CC if you're in that neck of the woods; SungNam if you're near Soeul, S. Korea; Changmai Thailand had a very intresting course last time I was there; and Camp John Haye GC and along with Bagio CC (which Bob Hope called the hardest course he ever played) are on the Luzon Penninsula of the Philipines if you go that way.  Out of the way, obscure places? maybe to the average person but I always take my clubs if there's a possibility... golf is everywhere. Does that make me an ambassadore? Not yet I guess. But its something golf dreams are made of.

•  

I've been lucky enough to visit, but not play, the Old Course at St. Andrews.  Some day....

There are so many courses worldwide that it would be impossible to identify the best.  I've played both oiled sand green courses in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain and the grass Rifa' Golf Club in Bahrain, each of which was quite enjoyable in its own way.  One course that is probably no longer available to the public was the then Crown Prince's (now King) nine hole course -- a grass course where we played a charity event.  

I've also found that a couple of courses in Canada that were both enjoyable to play, challenging, scenic, and full of wildlife.  From my post on nature and golf, you've probably noted that I was able to play Banff Springs.  I also thoroughly enjoyed Stewart Creek (near Canmore) and the two courses at Kananaskis.  Stewart Creek gives you vast panoramas of mountain and sky.  The first hole seems to drop into nowhere and the ball just flies out in front of you, with no apparent landing zone because it's about 150 feet below you in the valley.  I'm sure there are others that challenge each of us differently and remain in our minds for years afterwards.

The main thing is to enjoy the experience and the golf.