Forums

Courses that allow dogs?

•  

Personally, I think that dogs should not be allowed on a golf course.  I agree that there are some that will be perfectly behaved, sit in the cart or trot along with their owner and never have a single issue.  On the other hand, there may be other dogs that are not as well behaved and there could be issues.  It's one of those things that it's hard to say "only well behaved dogs allowed."  The only dog allowed on our course is the one the superintendent uses to drive the geese off the course when necessary.

•  

I think if you keep the dog on a leash and pick up after it, dogs wouldn't be an issue.  You're going to have inconsiderate owners, but you already have inconsiderate golfers that make more noise and more of a mess than a dog would.  And really, how many "deadbeat" dog owners are going to take their dog to the course?  Obviously some of the more well maintained courses might not want animals on them, but in reality, most courses wouldn't see many problems.

•  

To all the lovers of golf and dogs;

Hope these pictures from Golf Digest serves as an inspiration...

www.golfdigest.com/.../photos-golf-and-dogs

Have a great 4th!

•  

I was at River Ridge near Ventrua CA and noticed this guy.  If memory serves me right, he belongs to the greens keeper.  He's an awesome dog

• 4913 points

noeldaof
    To all the lovers of golf and dogs;

Hope these pictures from Golf Digest serves as an inspiration...

www.golfdigest.com/.../photos-golf-and-dogs

Have a great 4th!

Thanks for sharing. Lots of great pictures of dogs on courses, most of them in Europe, but a few in the US including the at the Masters (albeit a long, long time ago).

•  

The key to this discussion is "well-trained."  If it's a well-trained and well behaved dog, no issues.  But policing this would be extremely difficult.

•  

I am a huge fan of a "course dog."  The greens-keeper at a club I was a member at back in PA had one of the most well trained dogs I have ever met. He could whistle from the other side of the course and the dog would come running from wherever he was.

The superintendent at the course we shot the "FJ The Mark of a Player" commercials had a dog that roamed the course with him.

•  

joshgiano

I was at River Ridge near Ventrua CA and noticed this guy.  If memory serves me right, he belongs to the greens keeper.  He's an awesome dog

I remember that post of yours about this dog, and I've always wondered when you were going to post a picture you snapped of it.  Wow, he is huge!

www.footjoy.com/.../3572869.aspx

Thanks for posting.

On another note, I heard they held their annual tournament there a couple weeks ago.  The greens keeper promised the tournament that he'll have the speed close to 15 by the tournament weekend, and sure enough it got up to 14.9.  YIKES! ;-)

• 4913 points

tdogg21
    The key to this discussion is "well-trained."  If it's a well-trained and well behaved dog, no issues.  But policing this would be extremely difficult.

Time-out, your user name is "tdogg" -- you have to support dogs :)

• 460 points

Dogs should not be on golf courses. I can't imagine how angry I would be if a dog barked in my backswing, or my ball landed on some droppings.

•  

Do not approve on them on the course, either, but one good point, they chase away the geese, whose droppings seem to always be in the way.......could put up signs "No Dogs or Geese Allowed", but don't believe either of them can read.......the main problem with dogs on the courses is that the owners let them run and the do their numbers on the course and love to run thru the sand traps (some even like to roll in that warm fluffy sand) and on the greens and chase balls and such.......having worked at a course as a Ranger, I have seen this first hand......we can't really blame the dog because they do not understand because it is playtime for them.........if you see a dog on the course chastise the owner.......they can read the signs.......  

• 4180 points

I sort of go back and forth.  If there was a way to limit it to well behaved dogs then I have zero problem with it.

Since we can't do that easily I suppose I have to fall on the side of "no thanks".  

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    I am a huge fan of a "course dog."  The greens-keeper at a club I was a member at back in PA had one of the most well trained dogs I have ever met. He could whistle from the other side of the course and the dog would come running from wherever he was.

The superintendent at the course we shot the "FJ The Mark of a Player" commercials had a dog that roamed the course with him.

I love it.  Our course has a dog and he couldn't be cooler.  He listens better than I do.  He also keeps the geese in line.

•  

Eippert.1
    Dogs should not be on golf courses. I can't imagine how angry I would be if a dog barked in my backswing, or my ball landed on some droppings.

We had the same problem with Mondo when we played Medinah

•  

Put a leash on him and take him for a walk after you feed him and you should not have a problem......maybe he was trying to tell you something........poor Mondo, why does everyone always pick on him.....