Forums

Pinehurst

• 2828 points

Recently returned from Pinehurst where we played #2 (twice),#4Y ) ***twice) and #8.  It was very interesting playing #2 with the course well along in setup for the US Open.  Strolling the fairways with bleachers and the corp tents up was very cool. Even had spectators in them a few holes- construction workers, LOL.

For those of you that have been there prior to the redo and not since you will have a real surprise when you see the course.  No real rough fairway runs right into waste areas. look is very different. and with the emphasis on natural look and less sprinkler heads it may even have a brown look.  

when there we played 2 groups in front of Hunter Mahan one day. and about 3 groups behind Jonas Blixt the other day.  They played the US Open tees which are a bit long for me.  

I am now looking forward to watching the Open in June.  

• 5674 points

Great trip Pony! This region is full of great golf courses. And of course Pinehurst is one heck of a course complex. Some of the 500+ yard par 4s on #2 clearly will challenge the pros and when the greens are running fast, I imagine #2 is a course management challenge demanding that you place your approaches is precise areas of those greens in order to simply remain on the surface! How fast were the greens when you played? Did you stay at Pinehurst or off site?

•  

It's a bucket list course for me for sure.  I remember watching the 99 US Open with my Grandpa and Dad when Payne won it, and ever since I've wanted to tee it up there.

•  

My wife and I drove up to Pinehurst in 2005 for the US Open, walked the course, saw some of the morning rounds, bought some merchandise, drove back to Charleston and watched the remainder of the tournament on TV.   In February 2006 my professional organization had a District conference there and one of the other officers was a member and he arranged an outing for us and it rained the entire time we were there.  So missed out on my chance to play at a guest rate.  Lovely hotel.  Someday, we may just head back up there, not really that far.   Pony, am a little envious....it is a beautiful area to visit and to play there would be awesome.......

•  

It will be interesting to see how the pros (both men and women) handle the Donald Ross greens, especially if they get firm and super fast.

•  

I have not played since the renovation.  Maybe in the fall I'll take a little trip.  Playing 2,4,and 8 was great trip.  In my opinion you played the best.  Yes there are many good courses in the sand hills, but the Ross courses are walking history.

•  

Pony -- thanks for sharing! You really do get to do play/travel for golf quite a bit. I'm envious.  Amazing that you got to play 2x but Phil couldn't even play once.  He seems to use the media anytime things don't go his way.

This should be an emotional year for the golf community with respect to Payne and Pinehurst. I have a few memories of watching/following him at the old Western Open (the current BMW Championship).

•  

miniwarmth
    Pony -- thanks for sharing! You really do get to do play/travel for golf quite a bit. I'm envious.  Amazing that you got to play 2x but Phil couldn't even play once.  He seems to use the media anytime things don't go his way.

This should be an emotional year for the golf community with respect to Payne and Pinehurst. I have a few memories of watching/following him at the old Western Open (the current BMW Championship).

I got to see him play at the Ryder Cup at Kiawah in 1991........they gave out special Payne Stewart pins at the 2005 US Open at Pinehurst....have mine in a special place with my 2005 US Open ball marker........though I would share.....easy to recognize......what a golfer and a personality.......

• 2828 points

we stayed at the Manor Inn which was onsite.  Short shuttles to the courses. We had breakfasts over in the Carolina Dining room buffett and dinners at the Ryder Cup lounge.  And one evening dinner at 1895in the Holly Inn-- well worth it - outstanding food and service.

Not sure on green speeds but would guess 10-11+ ( could be more as I tend to underestimate stimp). They rolled well.  They rolled nicely.  One caddie informed us that on #2 they had not aerated for about 16 months and were starting to dress them with a construction type sand - like a concrete sand which when wet hardened some.  when picking up your ball on greens after a putt the ball had a stickiness to it but the sand was not noticeable on ball just a strange stickiness.  They will be hard and fast by the Open.

• 2828 points

miniwarmth

Its called retirement and a understanding wife :).  Its also tough to play in WI in winter.

Yes I was surprised when I heard that he had difficulties I know that on the Monday when we were there they had some type of outing. and one caddie said that was common as the USGA was bringing in people for these outings.  I am still surprised that Phil couldn't be accommodated.  

Had I known I would have offered to let him join our group... LOL although not sure which one of the other guys would have given up their spot though.  

I alsopicked ups couple of FJ shirts with the Pinehurst logo on them.

•  

I played numbers 2, 4, 6, and 8 back in late summer of 98.  My Dad took me as my high school graduation gift.  What a great week with a lot of memories.  We stayed in the hotel, which is top-notch.  If you're going to go, do it right and spend the money to do it right.  It is well worth it!

•  

joshgiano
    It's a bucket list course for me for sure.  I remember watching the 99 US Open with my Grandpa and Dad when Payne won it, and ever since I've wanted to tee it up there.

Let's do it!  I'll meet you there.  I've been wanting to get back down there to play.  Let's find a weekend in the fall and go!

•  

Pony,  That sand is something else I was in Ireland a couple years ago and they were Top dressing the greens with a heavy course sand.  We thought we were going to have bad greens, but after they brushed the sand in you did even notice the sand.  Yes it was a little funny feeling.  Always had a wet towel with me.

• 1018 points

I attended a conference there a few years back.  Had high hopes of playing a couple of rounds but all it did was rain for 4 days straight.  Heavy rain.  I must admit I was tempted to play anyway but knew I wouldn't enjoy paying their rates and getting wet.

Gorgeous area and fantastic courses.  Sounds like you had a great time.

• 554 points

I played it last May 2 and 4 last May. It was costly but worth every penny. The course setup is unlike any other course ive every played. I highly recommend it!