Forums

golf bags

• 340 points

Is there a cheaper way to take clubs overseas than carrying them with you?

•  

You might check into UPS or FEDEX and see what they will charge you.  Have not used them so cannot speak from experience.  Might consider renting clubs at the course you plan on playing.  

• 1869 points

Could try FedEx but I think they are kind of pricey as well.   If the course is decent and rents nice clubs, that's a good way to go too, just rent.  

• 1869 points

Oh and welcome to the community!!    Where ya heading??

• 4922 points

An additional checked bag in coach for overseas flights is about $200. I haven't seen/heard of anything that is significantly less. And if you are flying business or better, there is no charge for a third piece.  I tend to add a few things around my clubs for "protection" as well. So the space is well utilised.

• 1733 points

As Chuck mentioned, I'd recommend checking with Fedex.  I've looked into it, their prices are about the same as letting the airlines do it, but without the prying eyes of the TSA and you have the benefit of being able to lock your bag.  

Even if it is a couple hundred bucks, at least you have YOUR clubs.  You'll probably be more relaxed and play better being able to pull your trusty clubs from your bag.

•  

Unless you have some significant airline status, traveling anywhere with clubs brings the TSA into play, in addition to those who will pry through your gear. FedEx is a great way domestically, though I have never used them internationally. Their web site is very detailed and can help you navigate your questions.

Good luck.

• 2485 points

kmcmellen

As Chuck mentioned, I'd recommend checking with Fedex.  I've looked into it, their prices are about the same as letting the airlines do it, but without the prying eyes of the TSA and you have the benefit of being able to lock your bag.  

Even if it is a couple hundred bucks, at least you have YOUR clubs.  You'll probably be more relaxed and play better being able to pull your trusty clubs from your bag.

I always use a TSA approved lock on my club bag when I fly. It may not stop the TSA screener but it keeps anyone else out of it.  And as mentioned I also stuff/wrap other items like rain pants etc around the club shafts at the top.  And most importantly I use the ClubGlove club protector-- ALWAYS.  A great $25 investment. 

•  

A second bag, which was my golf bag, when I traveled to Asia was at no cost at Asiana Air.  But that was last year in February.

• 1686 points

When flying I never ship my first team bag and rarely do I take them on the plane. Check with the course and see what rental sets are available. Most top courses have name brand sets available at nominal cost. With one exception I have never had a problem shipping my clubs. I did have a carrier "misplace"  my pool cues once but when I informed them that they were one of a kind custom cues, unmistakeably traceable, they surfaced quickly.

• 4812 points

I would rent. I have had my clubs misplaced for a couple of days several time traveling inside of the U.S. and ended up renting.

•  

Boy I would be ****** if they lost mine if only for a day.............I have traveled with mine and have never had any problems....last time we flew somewhere was last spring and we went to Paris, France and we were too busy to play golf......never thought I would say that....and I had a blast....guess if I am only going to play one of twice, rentals are the way to go if they have good equipment......

•  
    Many airlines allows to travel with one golf bag for free, You have to check if that is the case and choose one of those airlines. An example, here in Europe is the Sky team, that if you a loyalty card you may register in the Flying Blue golf club and get vouchers to travel with your bag.
  •  

If I was going to Scotland or Ireland on a golf trip I would definitely bring my own clubs regardless of the cost.  If it is a vacation that I might play I would rent if I did play.

• 934 points

I've found that Fedex and other shipping services are more expensive than the airlines.  As an example, on my last trip to Hawaii, Fedex wanted $200 vs. United's $50.    I take only 8 clubs in a Sunday bag, buy the balls at the destination, and use the weight/room saved to pack clothing.   In most cases, on a leisure trip, I am able to get by with a carry on and my golf travel bag.

I travel frequently internationally.  I always rent unless I plan to play more than 3 rounds.  In most cases you can find an off course place to rent quality, name brand clubs much more cheaply than at the courses.  If I am going to multiple destinations, then the clubs stay home...period.  Not worth the hassle of transport through multiple airports, customs, concern about loss or damage and renting a larger car just for my clubs.