Forums

Turnberry

• 1840 points

Seems The Donald is acquiring Scotland's Turnberry course.

•  

I read about this as well.  He seems to be on a roll recently over in the British Isles.  After opening the course in Aberdeen, he acquired Doonbeg in Ireland earlier this year and now Turnberry.  "The Donald" is a very polarizing individual, some love him and some hate him, but I think his passion for the game is certainly good.  He definitely is not afraid to pump cash into a property once he acquires it.  I will be at Doonbeg in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see what the take on the ground is with the new Trump ownership.

• 1942 points

Interesting.  I'm fine with so long as he leaves the course alone.  Sometimes, less is more.  Develop some nice hotels, invest in infrastructure around the course, that would be great.  But leave the course alone.

• 4396 points

Interesting.  At least in the article I read he has no plans to touch the course unless the R&A requests it, or approves any changes.  The hotel however will get a huge upgrade as is the case with anything Trump owned.

•  

Right now the hotel needs NOTHING. The previous ownership group spent quite a bit of money doing a full refit of the Hotel just before the last OPen was held there. I can tell you that the work done was fantastic! I look forward to hearing what a number of my friends that are members there have to say about the new owner....

•  

What ever the Donald does it will be first class.  Expansion of the hotel ? Rick's comments suggest not much needs to be done. I have not been there in about 10 years, so in no position to comment.  It was one of my favorite memories.

•  

Apparently bought it from a Dubai based company for about $60 mil.

Would have bought it myself for that ... pity that I was just short ...

•  

I trust Rick's comment on the hotel, and I am sure Trump will spare no expense in relation to the course.

•  

The Don usually tries to put his signature on everything he has to support his ego.  This will be interesting to see what happens...

• 2763 points

I have played the course a few times and stayed at the hotel. The course needs no changes /improvements and the hotel is fine.  I hope  any changes  made  do not detract from what is already a wonderful complex and experience.

•  

PLEASE DONALD DON'T TOUCH THE GOLF COURSE.

STUFF LIKE NEW SAND A LITTLE AERATION AND SPRUCE UP THE PRO SHOP AND THAT'S IT,,,PLEASE.

IT WAS A TREASURE LAST TIME I PLAYED IT.

• 5247 points

Donald Trump as a golf course owner is a good guy. While his club houses may end up a bit on the gaudy side, he spares no expense and he has done a pretty god job of leaving the architects to design challenging courses where he has green fielded a course. I suspect there isn't much fundamentally in need of change at Turnberry..He respects good design and Turnberry is more than a good design!