Forums

The Homestead Resort

•  

Has anyone been to the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, VA?  My wife and I are looking for a place to go this summer for a couple of days without the kids.  My only request (which she is fine with) is that there is somewhere nice for me to play a round of golf.  She found a deal for this place, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.  Looks like they have two nice courses, but neither are cheap.  Anyone have any opinions or experiences?

•  

Played both courses many moons ago, REALLY NICE old school resort.  I remember a lot of the Cascades course...and how much it beat me up but definitely a good play.  Very hilly, mountain golf, which I tend to enjoy and miss a little bit here in New England.

I would say the resort is similar to Bedford Springs which is down your way I believe.

•  

This is a wonderful get-away resort.  Like Devin said -  hilly but more rolling (this is the cascades course) -  held the U.S. Amateur there 25 or so years ago.   Has also been a NCAA Men's Golf Site within the last 5 or 6 years.   The course at the Hotel is also very good condition but shorter and more hilly.  Wonderful views.   The hotel is full of old-time charm.  Small community surrounds the Hotel (not far away is the Greenbrier - which hold the Greenbrier Classic).

•  

You wife has chosen well, relax and enjoy the south.  Have high tea. You will also have one of the best courses in the country.

•  

Devin - I completely forgot about Bedford Springs.  I've never been there and typically we never think to go there for golf.  Anyone who has been to Bedford understands why you never think of a nice resort being there.

We weren't able to find dates that worked for us and were in their sale period, so not sure if we're going to go to Hot Springs or not.  With vacations with the kids and a couple good friends all getting married this summer, we're starting to get low on free weekends (and babysitters!)  We might just end up at some beach for a day or two.