Forums

The United States First Golf Club

•  

Established in 1786, the Country Club of Charleston was the first golf club in the United States. The current course was designed by Seth Raynor in 1925, with sectioned tabletop greens, flat linear bunkers with steep grass slopes, and some bold and unusual holes.  Am meeting my pro and Jtbostick from the FJC at 1059 today to give this beauty a try.  One of the benefits of working the Women's US Amateur and time to show off my new FJ City grey and orange shoes.   :-)

•  

Rough day and wind was blowing off the Wapoo River at least two clubs and the ball did not need much help rolling on the greens if on the wrong slope.  Jtbostick was sick and could not play, so it was the pro and myself.  Held my own with the pro for about six holes then reality sit in.  Had to take a picture new shoes and they go well with shorts and feel great.....  :-)

• 4867 points

Nice bit of history to get to play on. Looking forward to the pictures of the new shoes.

•  

So have you posted a photo of your combination, Chuck?  If so, which thread has it?

•  

ChuckZ
    Rough day and wind was blowing off the Wapoo River at least two clubs and the ball did not need much help rolling on the greens if on the wrong slope.  Jtbostick was sick and could not play, so it was the pro and myself.  Held my own with the pro for about six holes then reality sit in.  Had to take a picture new shoes and they go well with shorts and feel great.....  :-)

Funny there was a picture with this thread, guess it went to lala land......let me try again......

• 1748 points

Is that an orange watch band too?  Shoes look great.  I was doubtful about how they would look with shorts.  You proved me wrong.

•  

The Country Club of Charleston is a great Raynor. I still think that Yeamons Hall sits on a better piece of property and is the better of Raynor's  course in the Charleston area.

TH

•  

kmcmellen
    Is that an orange watch band too?  Shoes look great.  I was doubtful about how they would look with shorts.  You proved me wrong.

Yeah it is an orange watch .............have orange shorts and orange visor, but figured that would be a little too much....will wear them with my grey shirt....have a grey belt strap coming in the mail....these shoes were made for my big feet.....awefully comfortable....

•  

Chuck, you look like you've been getting dress up tips from Todd (TNT009).  You, Don, and Todd could really knock out a grouping on the course in your grays, tans, and oranges.

•  

Tyler Higley
    The Country Club of Charleston is a great Raynor. I still think that Yeamons Hall sits on a better piece of property and is the better of Raynor's  course in the Charleston area.

TH

Yeamans Hall Club is longer, tougher and get's less play.  Not a lot of realestate (maybe 20 homes and they are the primary members and owners of the club).  They extend limited 9 month memberships (no clubhouse priviledges) which pays for the upkeep of the course.  I enjoy the view of the Charleston Harbor @ CCC.  Both are great old courses and host USGA Am and College events in the area.   Raynor you will see Raynor's influence in the first three courses in Charleston......Country Club of Charleston and Yeamans Hall and some of his characteristics at the City of Charleston Golf Course all built between 1925 and 1927.......  

• 1962 points

Thanks for the infer and the outfit looks great. Gonna have to check it out next time I'm in Charleston!

•  

Great looking outfit CZ !!!

Especially like to the orange socks.

Is orange the new black??? It's everywhere and one of THE great colours !!!

•  

pulplvr
    Chuck, you look like you've been getting dress up tips from Todd (TNT009).  You, Don, and Todd could really knock out a grouping on the course in your grays, tans, and oranges.

Everyone can always learn new tips and I appreciate gentlemen who know how to coordinate their outfits.  I worked in retail as a Store and District Manager for twelve years years in the 70s and 80s and learned that skill hands on.  Maybe we can show off our wears at a FJAI some day. Imagine a FJAI is a display of models for FJ.....thanks for the compliment.....

• 4937 points

Chuck -- great outfit and way to find orange low-cut socks to match!

• 4195 points

Chuck, love the outfit and love the history lesson!  Thanks