Forums

Has anyone played at Metacomet CC in RI?

• 5674 points

I have access to this Donald Ross designed course that has been around for over a century. Certainly looks to be a beautiful setting on Naragansset Bay. Has anyone in the community played the course and what did you think of the experience?

• 3506 points

Sorry to say its one of many courses in the state I live that I haven't played yet. I have driven past it a handful of times. Sorry I cannot help ya! Give it a whirl!

•  

The course used to be in great shape.  They have had membership issues the couple of years and have been way down on their revenue, not that most courses aren't but this one got hit pretty hard.

The course is a nice Donald Ross layout.  There are some nice views of the water on your first few holes, and then that is about it for views.  Metacomet used to have terrifiic greens as well.  Very fast, very true, but they also started to decline the last couple of years.

I would say if you have the opportunity to play, take the opportunity.  It is a nice course, fairly challanging and you will have a good time.

Donald Ross certainly left his mark across several RI courses, so take the opportunity to play as many DR designs as possible if you are making the trip to RI.

Good Luck!

•  

I was a caddy there growing up back in the 80's.  Lots of changes since then as Brian outlines.  Typical Ross track - not long, but you have to be accurate.  I think the best holes are #2 (risk/reward 2nd shot), #7 (shorter par 3, but plays very tough depending upon the wind), 11th (cross over the driveway with your second shot), #12 (great long par 3), and #17 (top hole on the course in my book).  Enjoy the round!

• 5674 points

MANY thanks for the comments all. You clearly oculd make a career out of playing Donald Ross designs. That man was a design machine at the perfect time to be in that line of work. So few courses, so many interested and able to build in that era!

I look forward to warmer eather and a round  at Metacomet..

•  

Word around is that they are offering a membership special - monthly dues of 10X your age plus $75 in food/beverage.

•  

ToddL
    Word around is that they are offering a membership special - monthly dues of 10X your age plus $75 in food/beverage.

At 10x your age all they need to do is to get Doug and Ted to join and their money worries will be over.