Forums

Reasonable price

•  

I think how much you would play is dependent upon who you are playing with, the course and your likelihood to be able to play the course again.  I have been willing to part with $$$ to play some of the more famous courses and it seems like the prices only go up and up.  

•  

OUTIGER
    Have played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

A couple I would like to play are Bethpage Black , Kiawah Island, and Torrey Pines.

If Augusta National is not on your list, then remove me from your friends list.

TT

I have a list of courses that I want to play someday and I'm trying to get to at least one of them a year.  I'm trying to knock Bethpage Black off the list this summer.  I have a friend who use to live in New York so I'm trying to get him to find one of his friends to get us a tee time.  

•  

tdogg21
    OUTIGERHave played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

A couple I would like to play are Bethpage Black , Kiawah Island, and Torrey Pines.

TT

I have a list of courses that I want to play someday and I'm trying to get to at least one of them a year.  I'm trying to knock Bethpage Black off the list this summer.  I have a friend who use to live in New York so I'm trying to get him to find one of his friends to get us a tee time.

Sleeping in your car is the only way to do it!

•  

Great topic!

For me it depends. I've definitely paid more than $150 on greens fees.  Sawgrass, TPC Boston (MC Member for a day), Kapalua, and Princeville were well north of that, and all of them were worth it.  Harding Park was right on 150, and I thought it was worth it too.

On the other hand, I've paid $50 bucks for courses and left feeling ripped off.

I love golf, and I spend nearly all my disposable income on it.  The memories I have at Sawgrass, TPC Boston, and Kapalua are worth the price tag in my opinion.  The conditions, pace of play, and the layouts are incredible.  The history and playing where the Tour pros play is something special, and the service at those places are 5 star all the way.  The whole experience is what you're paying for.  If my financial situation changes, I may be pinching pennies or I may be tossing up dollars and playing Shadow Creek and Pebble.

There's a ratio of Course to dollars to income.  If it's favorable, I'm all for dropping some cash on a bucket list course

•  

TNT009

Depends if I'm on vacation and probably wouldn't be back... Teeth of the Dog was pricey, but it love Dye and may not get back.. Looking for a course on Orange County and Pelican Hill by Fazio is $290!, are you nuts!

Todd, check out these courses:

Arroyo Trabucco GC (I think TH' new home course)

(FYI aeration on all greens April 7, 2014)

http://www.arroyotrabuco.com/

Tijeras Creek GC (I've heard rounds could get close to 5hrs)

(FYI aerating greens on March 17/18)

www.tijerascreek.com/.../tijeras.asp

Black Gold GC (but only heard good things, haven't played it.)

(also FYI aerating on March 18/19)

http://www.blackgoldgolf.com/

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    tdogg21OUTIGERHave played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

TT

I have a list of courses that I want to play someday and I'm trying to get to at least one of them a year.  I'm trying to knock Bethpage Black off the list this summer.  I have a friend who use to live in New York so I'm trying to get him to find one of his friends to get us a tee time.   Sleeping in your car is the only way to do it!

Getting too old for that!  Not sure I'd be able to swing a club after sleeping in my car all night.

•  

I'm seriously looking at Kiawah Island for maybe 2015.

http://www.kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/kiawah-ryder-cup-package 

TT

• 5249 points

OUTIGER
    Have played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

TT

THat $150 limit buys you a round at Bethpage Black  and a burger..The trick isn't paying, it is getting on the course without spending the night in your car! While I don't live in NYC anymore, I do have a close golf pal who is a native of Bethpage...NY state residents get a preferred time to call in make reservations - Limit of one reservation per month for the Black. It can be arranged!  OR go early in the spring or late in the fall and wait for a single in the reservation system. It usually isn't too big of a wait and if it is, you can always play one of the other four courses. The pros love the Red course..as do I!

•  

The most I paid (willingly) was $225 when I met up with Don and Todd last year at Torrey Pines South Course. I will admit, it was a great day and I always like seeing those guys. But knowing they paid like $25 since they are residents really cranked me.

My optimal price is at $150. I can rationalize that and not get crazy about it for a wonderful track that, if enjoyable, I might actually play again. Over that gets a bit ridiculous. An example. Harbor Town is well over $200. Hilton Head National is around $60. I can play a lot of golf at HHN for one round at HT.

Hey Todd, Pelican is a nice track, but WAY over priced. I'm still trying to find a connection there to get out and play. When/if I find one I will let you know.

•  

pistolpete
    OUTIGERHave played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

TT

THat $150 limit buys you a round at Bethpage Black  and a burger..The trick isn't paying, it is getting on the course without spending the night in your car! While I don't live in NYC anymore, I do have a close golf pal who is a native of Bethpage...NY state residents get a preferred time to call in make reservations - Limit of one reservation per month for the Black. It can be arranged!  OR go early in the spring or late in the fall and wait for a single in the reservation system. It usually isn't too big of a wait and if it is, you can always play one of the other four courses. The pros love the Red course..as do I!

Locals also love the red, call the black a tourist trap!

• 746 points

TNT Play Pelican Hill its an amazing Track

• 5190 points

Devin_Gmitter
    pistolpeteOUTIGERHave played some great tracks and the most I have paid is $150.00 .  There are very few courses I would pay more than that to play.  Most of the really big name places are way too pricey for the average player.  

TT

THat $150 limit buys you a round at Bethpage Black  and a burger..The trick isn't paying, it is getting on the course without spending the night in your car! While I don't live in NYC anymore, I do have a close golf pal who is a native of Bethpage...NY state residents get a preferred time to call in make reservations - Limit of one reservation per month for the Black. It can be arranged!  OR go early in the spring or late in the fall and wait for a single in the reservation system. It usually isn't too big of a wait and if it is, you can always play one of the other four courses. The pros love the Red course..as do I! Locals also love the red, call the black a tourist trap!

I played both Red and Black. I prefer the Red course over the Black course. I played the Black because it is on the list. The Red course was recommended by the Starter it was way more fun.

• 1750 points

The most I've paid is $190 for TPC Las Vegas and was a little miffed that my buddy only played $90 for being a NV resident.  Lived in NJ for 2 years and was registered with Bethpage to play the Black course but never made the nearly 2 hour drive out there to play and that has been a huge regret.  I believe it was going to cost me about $200 back in 2010.  There are so many great courses competitively priced about anywhere you go there isn't much need to pay more than $50-$75 in my opinion.  Devin, $25 for Oakmont is pretty awesome deal!!!  

• 1581 points

The most I have paid was $220 to play to Ocean Course at Kiawah Island in 2011.  It was the week of the PGA Championship one year prior.  Got a chance to play in the PGA Challenge.  The course was set up under tournament conditions.  It was a dry run for the PGA Championship in 2012.  Had to play it from the tips, (7,365 Yards) with a caddy with a verifiable USGA Handicap.  Low net round of the week won an all expenses paid trip to the 2012 PGA Championship.  Had the chance to meet Pete Dye and Carey Haig while playing #15.  It was an opportunity that doesn't come along every day so it was well worth the $$$.

•  

dtr8
    The most I have paid was $220 to play to Ocean Course at Kiawah Island in 2011.  It was the week of the PGA Championship one year prior.  Got a chance to play in the PGA Challenge.  The course was set up under tournament conditions.  It was a dry run for the PGA Championship in 2012.  Had to play it from the tips, (7,365 Yards) with a caddy with a verifiable USGA Handicap.  Low net round of the week won an all expenses paid trip to the 2012 PGA Championship.  Had the chance to meet Pete Dye and Carey Haig while playing #15.  It was an opportunity that doesn't come along every day so it was well worth the $$$.

I would gladly pay 220 - 250 for the ocean course, well maybe not gladly but I would cough it up to play there.  It is my girlfriends favorite track so it looks like we will have to make it for two!