Forums

Golf vacation

• 509 points

I'm going to taking a golf vacation in early May. It's going to be about a week long. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to go that won't break the bank.

Thanks,

Taylor

• 1759 points

While I haven't done it myself, a few guys in my neighborhood do the Robert Trent Jones Trail every year.  I'll probably go next year.  You can do it quite reasonably.  It depends on your location too.  From Atlanta it's a easy drive.   From SC, it's not too bad either.  Have you done Myrtle Beach already?

• 1759 points

And by the way, looks like you're pretty new here, welcome to the forum.  A lot of great people that are really knowledgeable and friendly.  

• 4922 points

kmcmellen
    While I haven't done it myself, a few guys in my neighborhood do the Robert Trent Jones Trail every year.  I'll probably go next year.  You can do it quite reasonably.  It depends on your location too.  From Atlanta it's a easy drive.   From SC, it's not too bad either.  Have you done Myrtle Beach already?

I like the RTJ Trail. it is a great value; the courses are very well kept. May is a perfect time to be there. Welcome to the community

•  

Jtbostick
    I'm going to taking a golf vacation in early May. It's going to be about a week long. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to go that won't break the bank.

Thanks,

Taylor

Greetings and welcome to the Community

I see you live in Charleston SC, so I am guessing you've done a great deal around the Myrtle Beach area. That's one of the places you'll get tons of choices and lots of value. The RTJ Trail is another very cost effective and fun trip.

Two other choices in May are:

Go to the Pinehurst area. There are many wonderful courses to play and many that are fun and cost effective. Also go to Florida and try the World Golf Village.

Good luck and enjoy.

•  

I was just ready to post and Tar Heel popped up.  I think he hit it on the head.  Welcome to the community.

•  

NCBob
    I was just ready to post and Tar Heel popped up.  I think he hit it on the head.  Welcome to the community.

Morning Bob! Watching the sun come up over the mountains from my office and having another cup of coffee!

•  

Hey Taylor, glad to see you are using the community.  Welcome, also.  See if Marshal or Boykin have any contacts in the Pinehurst area.  I have stayed at the hotel there and it is awesome.  Working it through our pros might save some bucks.  That area has some great courses and you can be there in about three hours or so.  Chuck  

•  

Jtbostick

Thanks,

Taylor

Welcome to the FootJoy Community, Taylor!

There are some good suggestions up there from the group- I sure would like to visit them, too, some day.

Anyway, you didn't say where you will be in your week vacation, I thought that might help us help you narrow it down for you.

Have a nice weekend!

•  

There are also some good golf destinations in the Lake Merion area of SC.  Another option if you're heading north is the Ocean City, MD area.  Some outstanding courses and sufficiently less known to not be horribly overpriced.  Search for good deals in both areas, if they are where you want to go.  A group I was part of in the D.C. area used to go to south-central PA each May.  Penn National has two completely different tracks, one links-type and one parkland.  Plus it's not far from Chambersburg, Gettysburg, and other similar historic locations.  Even Lancaster or Hershey aren't too far away.

• 1561 points

If you want to head north, there are 13 great courses in the Frederick, Maryland area.  They offer some great stay and play packages (golffrederickmd.com).  My favorites that we have played there are Musket Ridge, Maryland National, Whiskey Creek and P.B. Dye Club.  Frederick is within an hour drive of Washington, DC or Gettysburg PA.

•  

Welcome to the FJ Community. I cab strongly recommend Pinehurst, the problem this year may the area gearing up for the back-to-back US Opens. No one has mentioned it, but Georgia has some courses at reasonable prices. May I suggest you decide where you want to visit and check golfnow.com for courses in that area?

•  

How far do you want to travel?

•  

I ASSUME YOU HAVE DRIVEN DOWN THE ROAD TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES,,,KIAWAH ISLAND.

SEVERAL GREAT COURSES AND OH,,, THAT LOW COUNTRY COOKIN',,,,,,LOL.

WELCOME TO THE GROUP. YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE.

•  

Tar Heel
    NCBobI was just ready to post and Tar Heel popped up.  I think he hit it on the head.  Welcome to the community.

Morning Bob! Watching the sun come up over the mountains from my office and having another cup of coffee!

Sitting in Costa Rico.  The sun comes up to early.