Forums

Augusta National

•  

Recognize the Members Only sign at Augusta National?  Barely.  After two ice storms in Georgia we all know the course will be ready for the Masters.....even the Augusta National gets no respect from mother nature....

View image on Twitter

• 4852 points

Wow! Looks like there will have to be a little over time getting the course and grounds in shape for the Masters.

•  

Since the sign is not visible, Chuck, why don't you try to sneak in for a quick 18?  Who could complain?

•  

By the time April comes around there will not be a sign of winter at all.

•  

Augusta at Masters time is without a doubt the most pristine looking golf course in the world.....if there is a golf mecca, it is there....my wife is not a fan of golf and we took her one year and she could not believe the beauty of the course.....it will be THE MASTERS......everyone has to go there at least once in their life time...TV does not do it justice.....

• 2758 points

A earthquake of 4.9 ?  The greatest course on earth should be immune from such things .

•  

I will be there for the Monday practice round!!!!!!

•  

pulplvr
    Since the sign is not visible, Chuck, why don't you try to sneak in for a quick 18?  Who could complain?

I can be there in about 3 hours BUT I bet someone would be there to stop me.......have not been one of the fortunate ones to have played this course........understand from friends who have played, it is special......who knows, right place, right time.... and no it is  not immune to earthquakes, there is a faultline that runs along eastern GA and western SC and ends down into Summerville which is north of Charleston.....have light tremors all the time......in 1989, in a 90 day period, hurricane Hugo, an eathquake, and 7 inches of snow, hit the Charleston area.....as well as the holiday tourists.....ha...ha....   :-)

• 2490 points

don't know if you have been there before or if this is first as a result of the lottery but I am sure You will enjoy it immensely.  I had the opportunity a few years ago and it is great.  and if its your first time i suggest walking the full course stopping along the way.  The course is amazing.  

•  

Pony
    don't know if you have been there before or if this is first as a result of the lottery but I am sure You will enjoy it immensely.  I had the opportunity a few years ago and it is great.  and if its your first time i suggest walking the full course stopping along the way.  The course is amazing.

Pony:  My friends that went there to play the course were either volunteers for the masters or guests of members of the club.  I have been to the masters many times over the years.  We used to drive up on Tuesdays and watch the practice rounds, then in 1995 they started with that crazy lottery.  I put my name in for a while and we went for a few more years then I stopped bothering.  I have also been fortunate to have gotten tickets for Saturday and Sunday.  Would rather stay at home and watch it.  Can enjoy it better and see much more golf.  Yes, I have walked that beautiful course many times.  As stated previously in this thread, if there is a mecca, it is there......the course is so crowded now it is just not as much fun as it used to be......you used to be able to follow players......to a degree......but I agree, it is a sight to see and enjoy......the pride of the South.....  

• 5052 points

And if you are somwhat adventurous, you can skip the lottery for practice tix and purchase from scalpers who are easily found in the area in strip shopping center parking lots and elsewhere. No guarantees on price, but I have pals who've gone this route many times in the past few years with little premium paid for tix  - They make a little vacation out of it, playing on days leading up to Masters week and then sorting out the ducats with the locals, typically for Monday and Tuesday. The Par 3 tourney gets bigger dollars and means finding a spot to watch typically hours beofre the show starts...Fun to sit on a tee andwatch the parade of pros go through, but everything has its price...

•  

pistolpete
    And if you are somwhat adventurous, you can skip the lottery for practice tix and purchase from scalpers who are easily found in the area in strip shopping center parking lots and elsewhere. No guarantees on price, but I have pals who've gone this route many times in the past few years with little premium paid for tix  - They make a little vacation out of it, playing on days leading up to Masters week and then sorting out the ducats with the locals, typically for Monday and Tuesday. The Par 3 tourney gets bigger dollars and means finding a spot to watch typically hours beofre the show starts...Fun to sit on a tee andwatch the parade of pros go through, but everything has its price...

Yeah, those scalpers have been there for many years....sometimes folks get lucky.......have been so many times that the excitement has worn off.......sitting on one spot does not excite me.....just as soon watch it on my 51" all day at home.....been there done that, as the saying goes.......and bought all the expensive trinkets I need including the posters and headcovers.......the Masters will always be the Masters and I have those wonderful memories, that most will only hope to have......everyone must go to Mecca at least once in their lifetime........the green green grass of Augusta.....cheers..... :-)