Forums

Hilton Head

•  

Heading to Hilton Head the end of February, anyone have any recommendations of places to play?

Tyler

•  

I liked all the Palmetto Dunes courses. The Arthur Hills course even has a real lighthouse. Be careful it is supposed to be haunted so don't get too close (it's also out of bounds). Speaking of haunted try to drive down to Savannah the most haunted city and one of the most beautiful in the USA, Maybe while you are there you can look up Lady Chablis she is always ready for a good time.

•  

It has been a while since I have been down that way but I have played the following resorts:  Port Royal, Shipyard, and Palmetto Dunes and had great experiences at all three.  Arthur Hills sticks out in my mind.  Hope you enjoy your trip.  You might also try Blufton which is just up the road and I here golfing is good there as well.    

•  

Hilton Head National is great track for fair price. My favorite course in the area by far.

• 407 points

We make a trip every spring to Hilton Head to play for a week.  If you have not been there before, it is well worth it to play Harbour Town Golf Links.  Always neat to get a chance to play where the pros play.  If your pro can make arrangements for you to play at any of the private clubs, Berkeley Hall Club located just off the island is my favorite.  The North Course there while challenging is a lot of fun to play.  Belfair, also has two great courses, and the drive into Belfair through the tunnel of live oaks is spectacular. Hope you have a great trip.

•  

Hey Tyler

HHI is an awesome place to play golf. All the advice you have here is on point from a golfing perspective. I've played all the courses people are mentioning and will give you this input:

Hilton Head Nation- Its not as sexy and prestigious as Harbor Town, but the people there treat you awesome. And as a value, last time I played it was about $60. There are no homes around it, they have 3 nine hole layouts, and I personally enjoy Gary Player tracks. I say it's a must play.

Palmetto Dunes- The HH ads always feature a green on the ocean and that shot is from the Palmetto Dunes course. There are 2 courses in there, the Dunes and the Arthur Hill. I played the dunes and found it enjoyable, but the only ocean views are on that one single hole (cant remember the number). It's a fun track, but its a typical resort layout. Also Palmetto is mid island so you can get to it easily from end to end depending on where you are staying.

Shipyard- In the trees and with lots of homes/condos all around.

Harbor Town- I will call this a so/so option. It's very expensive and the only views of the waterways is on 17 green and 18. The rest of the course is cut in the trees and condo land. For me, I was disappointed. Yeah the tour plays there. But there isn't anything remarkable about it except 18 and the price. If you want to play the "name" courses, then you should play here. But you can play HH National for about 4 rounds for the cost of one round at HTGL.

Tyler, HHI is one of my favorite places in the USA. I plan to retire down there. It's not as uppity as Kiawah and not as touristy as Myrtle Beach. It's a really great area and once you know your way around it's awesome. Tons of awesome golf and things to do. Have a great time.

• 407 points

If want to play one of the other courses in Sea Pines Resort, Heron Point or Ocean, you can get a package deal which will lower the rate to play Harbour Town.  For anyone heading to Hilton Head this spring, the new clubhouse at Ocean is scheduled to open at the end of March.  The existing clubhouse building including the bar and restaurant at Harbour Town will be torn down beginning the Monday of the Heritage and will be rebuilt and open in time for the tournament next year.  Another great course to consider in Hilton Head is May River, a great Jack Nicklaus design.  If you are there dinner at the May River Inn is a great way to end the day.  If you are up for a real adventure take the ferry boat ride across the sound to Daufuskie Island and play Bloody Point.

•  

I plan to retire down there. It's not as uppity as Kiawah and not as touristy as Myrtle Beach. It's a really great area and once you know your way around it's awesome. Tons of awesome golf and things to do. Have a great time.[/quote]

Randy:  Great choice for a place to retire and can always jump over to Savannah, which is a fun place also.  You hit the nail on the head about Kiawah.  Memberships at the courses there are, you could say, a little over the top.....a lot of people who live there, those are their second homes.....

•  

I like the Jack Nicklaus north island course called Indigo Run...Unless you have deep pockets I am not a fan of the more popular courses....JAT

•  

Looks like May River has been booked and waiting to hear where else we will be playing.

•  

Tyler Higley
    Looks like May River has been booked and waiting to hear where else we will be playing.

Sounds like a great time.  Enjoy.

TT

•  

Tyler, you can try Golden Bear and Old Orchard. Both are Nicklaus courses and are always in excellent shape. As for eating, try Harol;ds Diner - the owner is a riot, the food is excellent and priced well.

• 407 points

I agree on Harold's Diner.  We always stop there for breakfast at least twice during our week in town.  A great way to start the day.  Just a warning...be prepared for a round of friendly insults with your eggs.

•  

Chris92009
    I like the Jack Nicklaus north island course called Indigo Run...Unless you have deep pockets I am not a fan of the more popular courses....JAT

Indigo Run! I couldn't remember the name of this course. We played there our first trip down in 2001. It was a wonderful course as well. And yes Tyler, Harold's is an absolute blast. It's a traditional looking diner set down in the low country. Classic.

Have fun down there my friend. You need to make a swing out here soon as well!

•  

dtr8
    I agree on Harold's Diner.  We always stop there for breakfast at least twice during our week in town.  A great way to start the day.  Just a warning...be prepared for a round of friendly insults with your eggs.

LOL - insults with your eggs is right and so is Indigo Run! (I said Old Orchard).