Forums

Heading to Hawaii

•  

Hey FJC, I'm heading to Hawaii in late February and the clubs will be coming with me.  We'll be hitting up a couple of the islands, but I wanted to see if anyone here knows of some good golf in HI

•  

Recommend the island of Maui......lots of everything to do there.....

•  

In the immortal words of Eddie Harris " Up your but Jobu"    

JG, Have fun in HI.

Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill.

TT

•  

Which island?

•  

•  

There are so many choices and varying expenses.  Most will be on the high end.  I have played on 4 islands and my favorite was Princeville on Kaui.  Kapalua on Maui is fun with the hang times.  If you play on Kona/The Big Island watch what shoes you are wearing, lava does not provide a very good shine. You will have  great time no matter were you go.  

• 2736 points

I've enjoyed Kapalua and Kannapali on Maui. Kapalua  had two courses,The Village and The Plantation. If you play The Plantation

you should try to play at least two rounds on the course since it takes one round just to understand the course. Also, if you play The Plantation check the weather report first . Because of the altitude change the weather on the course can be different than lower parts of the island.

The Challenge on Lanai is also a wonderful course. The only problem is there is nothing else to do on Lanai.

Have a great trip.

•  

Here are a few fun courses I've been in...

In Maui my friends took me to play Makena North course and I loved it.

On my own there, I was able to get on Old Blues' Wailea course and it's load of fun with wide fairways and scenic views.

In Kauai, Princeville has a golf course called Makai Golf Club, not to be confused with Princeville GC.  Makai has 3 nines.   (Ocean, Lake & Valley), I think.)  scenic Ocean course, challenging Lakes course.  Never played the Valley.  I had lots of fun there.  I played it a few times... Sometimes all day play.  But, I hear Princeville GC os a players course.

Wailua Municipal GC used to hold US Ams.  Two very different nines.  Lots of fun and challenges.  Some scenic holes.  

Poipu Bay GC is a really nice course as well as challenging.  Located south of the island.

The Big Island, a course called Big Island CC.  It's a Pete Dye.  It's a great course and so much fun and challenges.  

Oahu- Ko Olina GC is a cool course.

Anyway, most my tee times were made at:

www.teetimeshawaii.com/NewDefault.aspx

A couple of times, they've thrown in a stretched limo when I was only expecting a van.  The greens fee for example at Ko Olina was about $65 including my limo ride from Waikiki.

Wishing you much luck and lots of one putts!

No'l

•  

joshgiano
    Hey FJC, I'm heading to Hawaii in late February and the clubs will be coming with me.  We'll be hitting up a couple of the islands, but I wanted to see if anyone here knows of some good golf in HI

How late in February because I am going too!?!?!? Headed to Oahu.

•  

Wish I could go with you!  Is there room in your suitcase!  I am having golf withdraw in Ohio with this crazy cold weather!

•  

noeldaof
    Here are a few fun courses I've been in...

In Maui my friends took me to play Makena North course and I loved it.

On my own there, I was able to get on Old Blues' Wailea course and it's load of fun with wide fairways and scenic views.

In Kauai, Princeville has a golf course called Makai Golf Club, not to be confused with Princeville GC.  Makai has 3 nines.   (Ocean, Lake & Valley), I think.)  scenic Ocean course, challenging Lakes course.  Never played the Valley.  I had lots of fun there.  I played it a few times... Sometimes all day play.  But, I hear Princeville GC os a players course.

Wailua Municipal GC used to hold US Ams.  Two very different nines.  Lots of fun and challenges.  Some scenic holes.  

Poipu Bay GC is a really nice course as well as challenging.  Located south of the island.

The Big Island, a course called Big Island CC.  It's a Pete Dye.  It's a great course and so much fun and challenges.  

Oahu- Ko Olina GC is a cool course.

Anyway, most my tee times were made at:

www.teetimeshawaii.com/NewDefault.aspx

A couple of times, they've thrown in a stretched limo when I was only expecting a van.  The greens fee for example at Ko Olina was about $65 including my limo ride from Waikiki.

Wishing you much luck and lots of one putts!

No'l

Nol

This is an awesome recap and set of recommendations. Thank you for providing this detail to Josh. I'm sure this will help him a ton. Solid FJA support right here!

•  

I liked Turtle Bay when I was in Oahu...may be able to negotiate a decent price if you're playing as a single

•  

What islandY ) ***s) are you going to Josh?

•  

Love to see the recommendations FJC!  Thanks to everyone who's chimed in.  I'll be on Oahu, Kauai and Maui.  The courses I'll be playing are Kapalua Plantation and Princeville.  I've got my wife with me, so I'll only be able to sneak in two rounds.  I couldn't be more excited about it.  I'm trying to keep the game sharp by hitting the range and putting/chipping at home.

What did you guys do off the course out there?

•  

We spend a fair amount of time out in Hawaii and really enjoy it.  The time change is great because you automatically get up early and feel like you have slept in.  I generally get up in the morning, have breakfast then head down to the beach.  On golf days, I usually book a twilight tee time (which significantly reduces the $$$ outlay) and end up with a split day between the beach and the golf course.  Just make sure you have enough time to finish your round.  If you book one of the first twilight times available you should be ok.  This way it doesn't feel like you are spending a full day away from your wife but just a few hours.  Seems to work well and my bride usually lets me play a fair deal of golf since I am also hanging out at the beach each day with her.  Win, win situation!