Forums

2021 Walker Cup at Seminole

• 1458 points

This, in all probability, will be the only opportunity I'll ever get to actually see Seminole.  I'll definitely be trying to attend in 2021, especially after watch this year's Cup at National Golf Links. A must see for those interested in golf course architecture.

•  

Prof A, drive down through Charleston and pick me up.....have some good Charleston food and then head out for Florida.....of course that is over 7 years away......I like the old courses and this was built in 1929......

• 1458 points

Sounds like a plan Chuck. I dig the old courses too. Golf course architecture is one of the many fun things about this wonderful game.

•  

The Municipal course that I play on regularly was built in 1927, which is the third oldest course in Charleston, behind Yeahmans Hall and the Country Club of Charleston.   Of course we get around sixty thousand players plus a year on our course and the other two are private.  Our greens are the original bermuda greens and they are slow because they will only cut them low at tournament time because of the number of players, which is understandable.    

•  

I have been dying to see this one. Have heard so much about it.

• 5686 points

I agree that this is one of those courses you simply never get to see unless you are very very lucky and know someone...As a young investment manager, I was assigned a client who happened to be the chairman of a prestigious NYC law firm. A notoriously private individual, it wasn't until after his death that I learned he was an avid golfer, former USGA President and a member of Augusta National, Seminole, Pine Valley, Cypress Point, and one other club very famous and exclusive  that I cannot recall ( in addition to playing as a member at the Round Hill Club in Greenwich, CT and Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, NY, I believe). I hadn't a clue at the time who he was except  he was the only client that my boss, an extremely successful asset manager and strategist, was afraid of! Thus the kid, me, got to handle his accounts...If only I'd known...!!!