Forums

If you could play golf in only 1 state the rest of your life

• 1858 points

I am here now having retired to the Republic Of Texas.

• 5142 points

California for sure. While NC, SC, FL, and AZ are right up there, Cali never seems to get too hot or humid and has a wonderful assortment of top notch courses.

•  

For diversity of courses and styles, CA.  For what I enjoy playing and have become used to, RI.  Having said that, You can only play for 8-9 months of the year here in RI, so I am not sure if that really counts...

•  

miniwarmth
    California for sure. While NC, SC, FL, and AZ are right up there, Cali never seems to get too hot or humid and has a wonderful assortment of top notch courses.

As much as I love living in SC, I could do without the humidity........and you do have some great courses in San Diego, Carmel, and Palm Springs.......have enjoyed my experiences there......behind Paris, San Franciso is our favorite place in the world, then Maui.....then Charleston......I guess that SC and CA are similar because we can play the year round and that means a lot......if you live on the coastal areas.....

•  

I'd have to say California.  It's the biggest state and the climate and courses change so much from city to city.  Golf in LA is way different than it is in San Francisco than it is in Santa Barbra.  Plus the weather is amazing!

• 6 points

Myrtle Beach. My father and Uncle started our group 45 years ago and now it's us kids. My timeshare is also in Myrtle Beach. We still havn't run out of new course to play. Retirement means more time for Myrtle.

P.S. Fishings not bad either!

• 276 points

I would have to go with Florida, I can play year round.

•  

Nonboater
    Myrtle Beach. My father and Uncle started our group 45 years ago and now it's us kids. My timeshare is also in Myrtle Beach. We still havn't run out of new course to play. Retirement means more time for Myrtle.

P.S. Fishings not bad either!

A lot of courses and plenty of seafood buffets......unless you catch your own.......you guys stay away from the "Doll House"...lol

• 1676 points

I would say Arizona, spent most of my formal career there and loved all of it.  So many courses to play and the weather is not that bad year around.  And the food is a key as well, great Sonoran cuisine if you like Mexican cooking, some great Italian at Oregano's, In N Out for the burger fans, and the list goes on and on.  All styles of courses to play at, links, desert, traditional, just depends on what you want to do that particular day.  And several PGA events in state so you can go watch the professionals and maybe have a cold beer sitting in the stands at  the Waste management Open.  

•  

I would have to say Hawaii.  I know there is alot of wind at times, but if you are being buffeted by heavy wind there is a solution... just go to the other side of the island!  Too windy in Kapalua? Just head over to Wailea!  Beach, golf and pretty consistent temperatures always works for me.

• 185 points

I'd have to go with Alabama being a fan of the Robert Trent Jones Trail.  Eleven locations with 26 courses, reasonably priced membership.  It does get cool down there in the winter, and they get plenty of rain but you can play year round.  Have played Florida, Arizona, and the Carolina's but they just didn't do it for me like Alabama.

• 1135 points

Living in Arizona, I am biased. I love it here and can play all year round. If I had to pick another place, I would pick California simply because of variety and climate.

• 231 points

I agree, after comparing it with Fla and getting my first taste of Az golf last December, AZ wins hands down. Many choices in the area we visited (Goodyear) not far from the holy grail of Scottsdale but Estrella Mountain course that Troon owns was very good, fairly priced and staff was great. Wigwam Resort offered 3 great tracks if i did not feel like driving anywhere

• 1432 points

Puerto Rico. Technically, it's not a state. It's a territory but it's still the US.