Forums

If you could play golf in only 1 state the rest of your life

• 1763 points

Fantastic question Adam and most stimulating...If your indulgence is year round excellent weather, twilight with cart $25.00 to $70.00 for some fine links course and spectacular scenery, then hands down it is California.

•  

I have traveled around this beautiful world of ours and I am where I want to be and that is Charleston, South Carolina.   The state of SC has good year round weather, affordable and outstanding golf courses.  Great golfing in our sister state North Carolina, and west of us is Georgia and to the South is Florida......it is a great area to play golf........life is good in South Carolina......

• 47 points

I would say its a toss up between Arizona and Florida

• 2947 points

I'd probably join the folks in South Carolina. Great courses, a little seasonal change, year round golf and have met many very friendly people in my travels there.

• 1628 points

I haven't played enough in South Carolina but there certainly seems to be enough options. I've been to Myrtle Beach once but I think there are better places to play. The Pinehurst area is certainly a special place so I may lean more towards NC than SC if California wasn't an option.

•  

I think TarHeel nailed it.  That is where I sit.  North Carolina has such a variety of coastal golf, the sandhills, and the mountains.  There are three PGA events, plus there has been so many US Opens both boys and girls.  Plenty more to come.  

•  

Well, gang, I checked out NC and SC, and even southern VA and GA before settling here in Texas.  Yes, it's hot and humid int he summer and we have the threat of hurricanes--but so do NC/ SC, GA, and even VA.  Overall, cost and comfort, plus available golf I'm pleased with my selection for my so-called golden years.  Y'all come on down anytime.

•  

Adam62482
    I haven't played enough in South Carolina but there certainly seems to be enough options. I've been to Myrtle Beach once but I think there are better places to play. The Pinehurst area is certainly a special place so I may lean more towards NC than SC if California wasn't an option.

Myrtle Beach, afterall, is the number one golf destination...........it has a large number of courses in and around the area.....there are some other great areas of SC with very playable courses as well.....SC has some very old style Golf Courses, which I really like........Harleston Green, 1786 was Charleston's first golf course.....less than 9 holes in downtown Charleston.....Hilton Head, Blufton, Charleston, Florence/Santee and the Northwest Piedmont area are some good areas to tryout as well, next time you are in SC, Adam.....like California, the weather is a factor for playing the year round and SC is less costly to play......unless you are a resident of California and then local rates seem somewhat reasonable in certain areas......of course resorts are a different situation.....I really enjoyed playing golf in CA and loved the courses, but think I would want to live hear....NC is a beautiful state and has some outstanding courses in the Pinehurst area as well as around Asheville and Raleigh/Durham, but it sure gets cold there in the winter.  I have been on the coastal islands and seen it snow and they seem to get effects of the hurricane weather than we do to the South.....parther, ya'all come on down....      

• 1763 points

Hey bholley, you are totally dead-on! However, can we include Edgewood Tahoe at Stateline? With a nice breeze off the lake and a solid strike with the Titlelist 913 D3 you could hit the California border...;)

• 1763 points

OUTIGER, I played the Edgewood Tahoe course and my goodness I was really surprised on the beauty. The mountains as a backdrop and the deep blue Tahoe coastline water was magical.

• 1596 points

Arizona

• 1628 points

California is better in my opinion... Myrtle Beach did not impress me

•  

California has a variety of regions from north to south and not to mention the central...  Climates from wet to dry, needless to say all the many types of courses in it... But I've heard the Carolinas and Floridians are awesome

•  

noeldaof
    California has a variety of regions from north to south and not to mention the central...  Climates from wet to dry, needless to say all the many types of courses in it... But I've heard the Carolinas and Floridians are awesome

California is unique in that it is such a "tall" state.  so you have a wide variety of climates.  however, you also have a long drives from one end of the state to the other.  The Carolinas and Florida have a little less variety, but are more consolidated.  

•  

You are correct about long drives if you mean going from north to south, Tdogg.  However take an area like the lower desert- there are at least a hundres and fifty courses, just outside of that, 50 miles or so are Riverside Co golf areas another 30+ courses of inland type courses.  If you keep going another 70 miles or so, Orange Co golf area... Great spot...  70 miles south is the awesome San Diego golf area where inland and oceanic types of courses avail.  BTW 70 mile rides are norm for many around Cali.

Anyway, whichever state you chose to go with is "the best".  No contest at all.  ;)