Forums

Who's played Interlachen CC in MN?

• 859 points

Playing there in a couple weeks and just wondering if anyone has any experience on things to "pay attention too".  As a burgeoning course design geek, I love the old courses and this Ross design should be another memorable one.

•  

Have not played there, but any Ross design is indeed a treat. Never played one I didn't enjoy.

•  

Troy, you are the man!!  Play well and post pics!

•  

Tar Heel
    Have not played there, but any Ross design is indeed a treat. Never played one I didn't enjoy.

Agree......know you will have a pleasant experience....the old courses are the best kind....enjoy your trip...fairways and greens....cz : )

• 859 points

IMO this is a great example of a Donald Ross design and from a classic course perspective, my favorite to date.  The old, oak tree lined, rolling terrain coupled with a great layout made for an awesome walk.  I was glad we took caddies as many of the Ross signature style greens were ridiculous if you were above the hole.  Water comes into play on about 1/3 of the holes and the course is riddled with bunkers. Highlights were the par 5, ninth hole which features a dogleg right fairway with a lake that curves near the Bent grass green. This is the hole where Bobby Jones hit the famous "Lily Pad Shot".  The best Par 3 was the 13th which is a downhill shot with a rare front to back sloping green and Mirror Lake in the background.  It was also the most scenic hole.  Anyway, on to the pics.  If you have a chance to play ICC, I would highly recommend it and take a caddie.  Our guy has been there 13 years since the age of 10 and knew all the history, as well as, how to manage the course and greens which were just sick.  Many of the houses you see around the course are also amazing.  Pic is of the 13th.