Forums

Troon Managed Courses

• 5451 points

Anyone belong/play @ Troon managed courses?

Am thinking of joining one in my part of the world and am curious about the overall experience long-term. Consistency/quality of maintenance and if anyone every uses the reciprocal arrangements.

Thanks!

•  

Mini

I've played a few, but not become a "member." So I cannot speak of the reciprocal arrangements. I can say that they run a tight ship and the courses (that I have been on) are always in tip top shape.

• 2653 points

I have played a number of Troon managed courses while in Az and the service has been professional.  Courses were nicely maintained.  None were private clubs however.  I did sign up for their rewards program which provides free rounds based on $ expenditures at any Troon managed public course.  I am not aware of the reciprocal policy for privately managed courses.  

•  

I've played The Montegomerie in Dubai, and found 5 star conditions (Highly recommended). I believe they have an high level in almost all of their courses.

•  

I used to live in Scottsdale and they are a nice outfit, assuming nothing has changed in the last few years.  

• 5451 points

Thanks for the input!

This course is a new one over here in India ( www.golfshire.com/.../course-statistics.php) . Nice, challenging layout and they are just getting their feet wet.  It's semi-private now but membership makes financial sense give the cost/round.  There really aren't public courses over here so you have to be a member of club if you want to play with any regularity.

• 3548 points

I just played a Troon Managed course here in NC and I was very disappointed. Each year some buddies and I take a late summer, early fall golf trip to the NC/TN mountains. Last week our trip took us to Maggie Valley CC, Smokey Mountain CC, Sevierville GC, and Sequoyah National GC (the Troon Managed Venue). We spent the first three days of the trip at MVCC, SMCC, and SGC all of which were in fantastic condition. We were all looking forward to our final two days at Sequoyah National and it was a total disappointment. It has the potential to be an amazing course, the layout and the views of the Smokey Mountains are awesome! The service and condition were where they fell short. The pro shop attendant showed up to the course 5 mins before our 8:00 starting times and we were told that we didn't have time to warm-up on the range because they were busy and it would back the course up if we started late. We did have a bit of time on the horrendous conditioned putting green waiting for the employees to show up, which we commented on but, were assured that the greens on the course were in "awesome" condition. At first glance the course was great, we teed off from the very elevated first tee box down into a valley where the hole doglegged to the right. Once we reached the fairway; out of sight of the clubhouse and road the fairways were all but bare and their "awesome" greens were as bad or worse than the putting green! To make things even better there had been a landslide on the second hole which had destroyed the green and the hole was closed (a little detail they forgot to mention). Most of our group have low to mid- single digit handicaps so we typically play from the back tees but, once we got to the third hole the two longest sets of tees were no longer mowed and hadn't been for a while. To make a long story short-er we had planned on playing 36 holes per day the last  two days of our trip and left disappointed after 18 on Thursday. We managed to finish out our trip at Maggie Valley so it was not all that bad. I hope this is an isolated incident for Troon and it sounds like it is but, it is such a same for such a beautiful landscape to have such poor condition and service.          

• 5451 points

@Shawks11 -- That sux as the pictures of the course look amazing. Did you guys "air" your frustration with anyone there after the round? How did they handle the "feedback"?

Years ago I played a round (maybe somewhere in Myrtle) and the course was in terrible condition given the price/expectations. We were all steamed when we finished and went to the pro-shop looking for blood but expecting nothing. The Manager saw us straight away and just said, "By the way you guys look, it doesn't appear that you didn't enjoy your round. I'm pretty sure I know why..." He gave us a "free round" at a sister course that was grrreat.  Wish I could remember the name of that place.

• 3548 points

miniwarmth

@Shawks11 -- That sux as the pictures of the course look amazing. Did you guys "air" your frustration with anyone there after the round? How did they handle the "feedback"?

Years ago I played a round (maybe somewhere in Myrtle) and the course was in terrible condition given the price/expectations. We were all steamed when we finished and went to the pro-shop looking for blood but expecting nothing. The Manager saw us straight away and just said, "By the way you guys look, it doesn't appear that you didn't enjoy your round. I'm pretty sure I know why..." He gave us a "free round" at a sister course that was grrreat.  Wish I could remember the name of that place.

I'm not one to complain but, I was disappointed and did say something to the Pro Shop attendant. In a respectful manner I asked him about telling  us that the greens on the course were much better than the putting green (which was not the case at all) but, he didn't seem to care. In fact; he even defended the course conditions in a rude, like I expected too much kind of way. It's a shame because Sequoyah National has such potential!     

• 1135 points

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have played a few Troon managed facilities and everything has been top notch each time.