Forums

Hilton Head Golf

•  

I am headed with my high school son's to Hilton Head next week.  Anyone have any opinions about "On Island" courses? How about Heron Pointe or Ocean Course at Sea Pines? Thanks, I appreciate all your input!

•  

Try the courses at Palmetto Dunes. Both are very nice and the "mid island" location is great. While not on the island, I strongly recommend you play Hilton Head National, a Gary Player designed course featuring 27 holes. It's just off the island and one of the sportiest tracks, one of my all time favorites anywhere. No houses or condos in site on the whole course. And they treat everyone so nice it is a real gem....

•  

Thanks, these sound like great recommendations!  I like your comment on the Hilton Head National since it has few houses/condos on the course...nice to see a course in its natural surroundings...

•  

If you choose the Palmetto Dunes courses, make sure to first select the Robert Trent Jones course. I double checked my notes and that is the better of the two. It's also the hole pictured for many Hilton Head ads, where golfers are on the green and the ocean is right there.

That is the signature hole, a lovely par 5, where your approach shot is straight at the ocean. When I went to HHI we always stayed at a home along the beach in Palmetto so we could walk to that hole and sit and watch.

As for HH National, it is a hidden gem. Everyone always talks about Sea Pines and how great it is. It is very narrow and "condo golf" for the most part. The beauty only comes on the last couple holes when you're out on the Sound. HH National has more natural beauty, as it's cut out of the forests, and there is nothing around it at all. Best of all, it's under $80 to play, so you can play it 3 times and not equal one round at Sea Pines.

Have fun.

•  

HH national is awesome course I would suggest that track as well. Only played HH National and Harbour Town and I didn't care for Harbour Town.

•  

Didn't*