Forums

Where have you been?

•  

Just arrived back from my trip to Scotland. Played the following courses: Cruden Bay (Twice), Carnoustie (Burnside Links and Championship Course), St. Andrews (Old Course, New Course, Jubilee Course, Eden Course, Castle Course). All of the golf was fantastic. Only the first round at Cruden Bay was rainy. For those of you at the FJAI in RI simliar weather only a harder steady rain and much more wind. Other course of note that I have played this year would be all 4 courses at Kohler.

•  

Ballybunion was one of my favorite when we were in Ireland.  We had the opportunity to add *** Bay on our tour which is on the western most part of Ireland.  Hard to go wrong in Ireland.  Great golf and the refreshments and food are not bad, either.  CZ

•  

Have played all the courses at Kiawah Island and my favorite is the Ocean Course.  Pete did an outstanding job designing the course.  Hard to tell there is a golf course on the island.  Plays tough, depending on the wind.  If you get to play the course, play the blues downwind, and the whites into the wind, if you want to enjoy the course.  This was tip from their first superintendent, G Frye.  Had the opportunity to meet Pete at the Ryder Cup, heck of a nice guy.  Other great course is Turtle point.  OC is way expensive.  CZ

•  

TPC Boston is definitely on my list now.  It's just a really fun track.  The new 18th green complex is insane.  They pretty much bikini waxed it and tossed in bunkers and mounds everywhere.  The green is raised up on hill (it looks like a cupcake) and is very undulating.  It's a real test.  I can't wait to see the guys on Sunday going for the FedEx Cup.

CZ,

Welcome to the boards.  I've always wanted to play Kiawah!  I hear nothing but great things.

•  

If you happen to be in San Diego, you might try Torrey Pines.  Public course and a beautiful course overlooking water and a real challenge.  If I recall, did not play well.  The rough was not friendly.  But as they say, hit it in the middle.  

•  

joshgiano
    TPC Boston is definitely on my list now.  It's just a really fun track.  The new 18th green complex is insane.  They pretty much bikini waxed it and tossed in bunkers and mounds everywhere.  The green is raised up on hill (it looks like a cupcake) and is very undulating.  It's a real test.  I can't wait to see the guys on Sunday going for the FedEx Cup.

CZ,

Welcome to the boards.  I've always wanted to play Kiawah!  I hear nothing but great things.

Josh.....you're not too far from there are you?  we should try to play there.  it's close enough i could drive up for a round or two in the area.

• 256 points

Where I am, Central Tennessee, I have the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail nearby in Alabama. From Huntsville, and Florence to Birmingham to Dothan they are all superior courses.  Not too expensive and very well maintained. Always a favorite travel spot.

• 847 points

I had a chance to play Hazeltine last summer which tops my list.  I have played more scenic courses (Kapalua, Arcadia Bluffs), but having gone to the weekend rounds of the 2002 PGA, Hazeltine holds some sentimental value.  The layout was very challenging for my game and it took more about 10 holes to figure out the speed of the greens (read:fast).  I had so many 5-8 foot comebackers.

•  

Played Shadow Creek and the course was in the middle of the inner Las Vegas area.... Driving in the limo, you look around and say there cant be a golf course anywhere around here and bammm. You hit the gates and the pine trees and youre in paradise. The course was absolutely spectacular and service left nothing to be asked for. Greens were oily slick. Best part was having The Thunderbirds buzz us at 300 feet, so close you could see his helmet...

•  

Favorite course is Dubs Dread @ Cog Hill in Chicago as well as Oakmont CC...great tracks in both their own way!  

•  

My wife and I visited family in the Memphis area and my brother-in-law and in played Mirimicki in Millington, TN and Tunica National, in Mississippi and had to great rounds.  Need to try those courses if you are in the Memphis area.  Reasonably priced.  At Mirimichi there are challenges around every fairway bend, meaning accuracy is the key to a low round on this challenging course. Deep pit bunkers, elevated greens, swathes of native grassland, waterfalls and meandering creeks—all provide more than 7,400 yards of championship level golf. Mirimichi makes you think, forces you to react, and requires you to be at your best. Five to eight tee boxes are provided on every hole to accommodate all player levels. The greens are large and undulating to challenge the mind and create an exciting finish every time a flag is pulled from the cup. From tee to green, and every step in between, you will be challenged by its championship design and inspired by the beauty that surrounds you.  Justin Timberlake has his name attached to this course.  cz: )

• 3296 points

Chris92009
    Favorite course is Dubs Dread @ Cog Hill in Chicago as well as Oakmont CC...great tracks in both their own way!

Grew up down that way and used to love Cog Hill, Course Nbr.4 (aka Dubs Dread).  Unfortunately the greens fees got way out of control.  Chicago Golf Club (Wheaton, IL) is a great course with a great history -- if you can get on. Wonderful layout and incredible greens; my host told me to practice putting on my granite kitchen counters as prep. He wasn't far from the truth.