Forums

Heading to East Lake for the Tour Championship

•  

So I'm the best man for my friends wedding and as a thank you, he's taking me to the Tour Championship at East Lake in ATL. I haven't been to ATL since I was 12, so I'm looking for some suggestions. 

Any good places to stay, eat, golf etc..?

We'll fly in Friday night, hit the links Saturday and watch the Tournament Sunday. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

• 3503 points

I got ya!! From Atlanta.

Stay in Buckhead (about 15-20mins north of E. Lake). Plenty of hotels from cheap to ultra-expensive. Every major chain has an establishment in Buckhead. Much nicer and cleaner than downtown Atlanta. Buckhead is loaded with food, entertainment, nightlife and shopping of all kinds. I personally wouldn't try downtown Atlanta.

Eat: Buckhead has a HUGE variety of amazing restaurants, as does downtown Atlanta (closer to E Lake) If you want BBQ, look no further than Fox Bros in Atlanta (close to East Lake) or Fat Matts (great live music scene). Pizza: Antico Pizza (north end of Atlanta). Beers and awesome wings try any Taco Mac location. Great sports atmosphere!

Buckhead Life Group restaurants are among the more popular options in Atlanta among businessmen/women. They have it all. You can't go wrong anywhere.

Golf: Most of the better known public/semi courses are north of south of Atlanta. Mostly private in that area. I sadly have 0 hookups anymore so I am sorry I can't help out there. Check out Bear's Best if you want to venture out. Stone Mountain has a nice and challenging course there as well. That is the one I suggest you try. If you dont mind driving a bit, go north to my town and try Echleon in Alpharetta, GA.

Take the Marta shuttles to the tournament and enjoy!

Have a blast, I used to go to the Tour Championship all the time as a kid. A great venue with a TON of history. Best!

DJ Z

•  

If you can get on to the Atlanta Athletic Club, you will not be disappointed with either course. Also hit the par 3 course as part of your warm up. It is a great way to work on the scoring shots with defined targets before your round.

•  

Josh...

A couple things. First, make sure you hit the iconic Varsity restaurant in Mid Town. Yes, it's a hot dog place, but it is the place to go and experience once in your life. Eat in and take in all the sights and sounds and it will be worth remembering.

Two places I have played down in ATL that are worth it; TPC Sugarloaf and The Frog. TPC is  greg Norman track and used to be the home of the Bell South Classic, which used to be the tournament right before the Masters. Gorgeous clubhouse, and like all TPC's, its a wonderful track.The Frog is closer to the city, and is a fun and sporty track. As I recall it wasn't as pricey as TPC (and public), so getting on won't be an issue.

Enjoy the trip.

• 3503 points

Tar Heel
    Josh...

A couple things. First, make sure you hit the iconic Varsity restaurant in Mid Town. Yes, it's a hot dog place, but it is the place to go and experience once in your life. Eat in and take in all the sights and sounds and it will be worth remembering.

Two places I have played down in ATL that are worth it; TPC Sugarloaf and The Frog. TPC is  greg Norman track and used to be the home of the Bell South Classic, which used to be the tournament right before the Masters. Gorgeous clubhouse, and like all TPC's, its a wonderful track.The Frog is closer to the city, and is a fun and sporty track. As I recall it wasn't as pricey as TPC (and public), so getting on won't be an issue.

Enjoy the trip.

I second the Varsity. Get a F.O., Chili Slaw dawg and some frings

Sugarloaf and Frog are both private if I am not mistaken. May not be the easiest to get on.

• 1466 points

Been there a couple of times and for some of the best BBQ ever go to http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/, great meal! Not sure about golf but when I went I was with the family so I couldn't play