Forums

Phoenix area golf courses

• 5065 points

I am going to be in the Phoenix area for a 4 day golf outing. Can anyone recommend 3-4 courses We are trying to keep the cost per round in the $50-100? Playing Wednesday-Saturday.

One of my foursome just relocated to Phoenix and we are flying out to play.  

• 1135 points

Mark,

I am in Phoenix. I can definitely offer some suggestions. First of all, when are you coming out? Where in the Valley are you going to be?  Scottsdale has the most upscale courses in the closest proximity to one another. Obviously, this is going to be the most expensive area to play. If you don't mind traveling, I would recommend WeKoPa (Cholla course over Saguaro), Southern Dunes (one of my favorites in the state but a bit of a drive depending on where you are), Papago (a City of Phoenix course that is in great shape and it is 7000+ from the tips), and Quintero (another one that is a bit of a drive. I haven't played it but it is on my short list and I have heard raving reviews).

Let me know where in the Valley you will be staying and I will offer more suggestions if you would like. Also, check  golfnow.com for the best deals in town.

Have fun,

Tyler

•  

Go in June, there are some extraordinary values then

• 1135 points

If the high end of your budget is $100 then you will be able to play most anywhere. I think the only thing I saw over $100 on GolfNow was the TPC Scottsdale. If you are coming after Memorial Day, then the rates will drop significantly as bholley mentioned above.

• 5065 points

I will be in Phoenix  6/15-7/15 some time in between those dates.

• 5065 points

Depending on the course I would spend up to $300.

•  

Mark

WeKoPa is a must do and a lot of fun. If you head out a bbit, you can try the Marriott course at Desert Mountain (Wildfire is one of my Faves).

Also, I might recommend the Arizona State Karsten Course as a must play in Tempe. It's close to the airport and has a fabulous practice facility.

Have fun.

• 5065 points

Tar Heel,

I looked at Karsten ASU course website. The course looks great. What a great value.

I appreciate your help.

Mark

• 1135 points

You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near that amount at any course in the Phoenix Metro area. If you head up north towards Flagstaff, you may be looking at a little more $$$ because it is their prime season. I know that in the past,  the TPC Scottsdale has offered a deal where you play the TPC Champions course in the morning and the Stadium course in the afternoon. They give you lunch in between and I think the total was $85.00. If they offer that again this summer, I will be all over it.

ASU Karsten is a good track and is centrally located in Tempe. It will probably run you around $60 at peak times during the summer. Courses like Talking Stick (Scottsdale), Whirlwind (South of Phoenix), and Wildfire (a Palmer course and a Faldo course in North Scottsdale) are close to the freeways and are very easy to find.

•  

If you go in the summer, which you are, you are going to get some great deals. One of my favorite courses is ASU Karsten -  it is a Pete Dye layout.  I've also played the Biltmore, the Phoenician, and TPC Scottsdale for less than $40 each.  I try to make an excuse to visit Phoenix every summer.