Forums

i JUST HATE THAT!

•  

Last weekend visited the course I started paying golf at. Hadn't been back there for over 10 years so was genuinely excited about going back for a game and see how things had changed.

Well, they had cored the greens the week before and not one word was said to me in the Proshop. Was filthy on that and was stunned at how poorly conditioned the course was. It has been a long hot summer downunder but it was really putrid.

Anyway needless to say I was extremely disappointed and can safely say it will be quite a while until I go back again.

•  

Bad luck Croc.  Aeration and verti-cutting is part of the process for green maintenance.  Never happens at a good time. I am with you, there should be a sign posted saying the greens were just aerated, a reduced green fee, and you now have the choice.  Give it a try in the spring and call first. After all it does have meaning to you.

•  

that isnt fun but things like that happen

•  

That happened to me at a little course in Hickory North Carolina. The first time I played it I was absolutely in love. The rough was in bad shape, but the greens and fairways were perfect. It was the first time I ever played golf in North Carolina. I went back about a year later, full of anticipation, and the whole place was run down. There were weeds growing on the Green. It was just pitiful... And depressing.

•  

That really stinks.  Everyone knows it takes place 1 to 2x's per year, but you try your best to avoid playing right after the greens are done.  I can live with it a little easier in the fairways, but when the greens are done, its just not fun.  

They should have told you the greens were being done, giving you other options to play elsewhere.

Our greens and fairways are getting plugged and sliced next week.  I will have to switch over to TPC the following week until the greens are healed.

•  

Understand everyone's concerns with aerated greens.  For an different perspective, I have played several rounds over the years on the day the greens were being aerated, top-dressed, and rolled.  Those greens were in probably the best shape of the year that day.  They were smooth, rolled true, and responded well to shots from the fairway.  To me, that simply proved that, if done properly, freshly aerated greens can prove to be no obstacle to good golf.  Done wrong--not top-dressed, not rolled, punch holes left for weeks while the greens try to heal--makes for a poor experience.  Poor course conditions are a concern for the player (and for the superintendent, I'm sure), but lots of things outside the control of the best superintendent can result in poor conditions.  I accept that they try their best, complain to my friends and playing partners, and *** it up.  If it's so bad, stop playing that course.

•  

My home course has 2 courses. The greens will be aerated the beginning of next week, on one course, then the other course will be aerated. Every year it's the same, everyone complains about the aeration, then when it grows in, they all say how good the greens are and forget about the aeration, until next aeration. We are creatures of habit, we know this is going to happen and still complain every year.

• 2781 points

One of the courses I play at actually lowers greens fees on the days that they aerate the greens  I think it's only the fair thing to do.

•  

I had just read this the night before I went to a nearby course to use the range.  At the pro shop, the person in front of me redeemed a greens fee purchased on an online retailer for a much discounted price.  

The pro shop asked the player to start at the back as the last two holes are still being worked on, the guy at the counter, said.

The man didn't mind going off the back, but suddenly, when he heard the greens were just cored, he wasn't the same jolly guy and said, "BUT I WAS NEVER TOLD THIS!!!".

Really sorry this happened to you, CROCMAN.  It has happened to me, too.  All I can tell you from what I learned was to be mindful if it is the season for aerification.  Here in the Southern California, in the area where I play most, it is usually in spring and fall season when the courses are punched.  I've always made it a point to ask if I'm ever playing away from our course since.

Good luck next time.

No'l

• 4420 points

One of my local muni's had aerated the greens last year (near the end of the season) and they just covered the green in sand when they did it.  Talk about a cruddy job!!!  No word was mentioned - fees weren't any cheaper.  Horrible day rolling.  We pretty much just gimme'd any putts that were even close.

• 2769 points

My son-in-law just spent a weekend at one of the most expensive courses in Florida. He  had the reservations booked for months and they never told him that they  would be preparing the course for renovations. Much of the rough had been treated with something like Roundup to *** the vegetation but  no discount on green fees or advance opportunity for a refund on his package was offered. The course just lost  someone who would have been an annual customer.

•  

NCBob
    Bad luck Croc.  Aeration and verti-cutting is part of the process for green maintenance.  Never happens at a good time. I am with you, there should be a sign posted saying the greens were just aerated, a reduced green fee, and you now have the choice.  Give it a try in the spring and call first. After all it does have meaning to you.

I concur with Bob, CM....But am surprised that you weren't informed upon making a tee time or before teeing off...Based on that lack of professionalism they should have given you a refund...I hope you complained loud !

• 5264 points

GGG is right - Rule #1 in customer service: Try to exceed customer expectations. Full disclosure of any circumstances that might affect what you think you are getting for your $ is critical. Honesty works...