Leaves Stuck on Spikes

Leaves Stuck on Spikes

•  

Now that the leaves have fallen and covers some part of the course, (that's if there are leafy trees around your course), the spiked shoes are more likely to be picking up some dried up but wet leaves from sprinklers or morning dew, as we play through.

It isn't that tough to get it out, it's just annoying to work on it.

There is a mechanical brush by the pro shop, but it does not pick them all off out of the spikes.

The best way I've found so far:  (err... ahmm... sorry to disappoint, our club is a self serve club-- but there's always an opening for the job LOL)
    After the round, I brush off the leaves and mud and everything else that are caught up underneath with the nylon brush which I also use for my clubs.  When it's during a round and had to come off, I wait till the next or near (off) the teeing grounds or just off the rough, but definitely not on the greens.  (ha ha)

What other ways does anyone know of in dealing with the leaves on spikes?

Have fun at it, Guys.

Thanks.

No'l

•  

I use the air compressor after the round. during the round I use the foot brushes set up on the tee's. If I am at a really cheap club that doesn't have foot brushes, I just use a Tee it get the leaves off pretty easily.

•  

well the best thing that i have used to get all of the leaves and mud off of my shoes was a compressed air pump like one that you would use for a nail gun with a different attachment on it it worked great but you cant carry it around the course with you so it is an after the round thing to use

•  

No'l, you have hit upon one of those annoying parts of fall golf. This weekend I noticed as I walked onto the greens how many leaves my Champs spikes picked up along the way.

A good way in the round is to take your divot repair tool and simply scrape it along the bottom of the sole to dislodge any leaves that are on there. It works quite well I think. Your suggestion of using a club brush is good, and there are also some plastic brushes on the market to accomplish the task. In addition, you can use a simple kitchen brush to manage the task easily.

Play on No'l!

•  

I use my Cameron divot tool on the course and a steal brush after the round.  I find it very annoying to hear the crinkle of the leaves as I am approaching a shot or a put.  I like the idea of the air gun, but we no longer have one in the cart barn.  My have to ask for that back...

•  

I'm with Randy -  I use a divot tool as I play and keep my spikes clean.  I also have a little foot brush on my clic gear cart - so I just rub the shoes across that a few times during the round.  If I'm playing at home we have a air hose with blower to removed grass/soil/leaves -  always carry a shoe brush in my vehicle.

• 3066 points

I'm with Randy and Randy. If the brushes at the tee boxes don't get it all, either the divot repair tool or a tee works just fine until compressed air after the round.

•  

Hokiey, I am surprised you don't have your own personal shoe cleaner with the quality shoes you game.  I would not know how to keep up with all the sweat shoes you sport.

•  

The divot tool is the way to go, or an extra towel on the back of the cart every few holes can do the trick, but the towel gets trashed.

•  

RANDYWILDMAN
    I use the air compressor after the round. during the round I use the foot brushes set up on the tee's. If I am at a really cheap club that doesn't have foot brushes, I just use a Tee it get the leaves off pretty easily.

That pretty much sums it up.  Most courses at least have some spike brushes out there.  When I'm done I always pick the leafs and what not out of my cleats with an old tee, then give them the old clap maneuver.*   It works every time.

*Let's see if Holly can set a record for block posts.

•  

I take a garden hose after the round to clean off the spikes and spray the uppers, than take a towel off the uppers and set the shoes on a towel to dry. During the round like everyone else I use a tee or a divot stretcher.

•  

Sounds like the guys have hit the majority of the ways to clean the leaves off.  (getting some weird spell-check corrections as I type tonight)  One that hasn't been mentioned that I find useful--though a bit expensive in the long run--is compressed air in cans.  The long straw attachment really helps get under the spike edges and dig out the grass and twigs that get caught up in there.  Got to keep the spikes clean during the round, though, to ensure you still have grip.  That's where the divot tool or a tee comes into play.

•  

A carry a small wire brush in my bag to wipe leaves and dirt off my shoes before walking on the green.   Fall golf at it's most difficult.

•  

Cigar lighter works for me

•  

i use a tee or my fingers if it's not too bad during a round and i have a shoe brush in my bag to use after the round.  but if it gets real bad, i'll pull out the brush mid round.