Love to get some opinions on a new shoe purchase.

Love to get some opinions on a new shoe purchase.

• 384 points

For the sake of comparison, let's just say ... money aside, which model FJ should I invest?

For the last 5 years or so, I have been wearing a FJ Classics style shoe.  I was wearing a FJ Classics Tour and when they wore out (I have since sent them to Larossa Shoe to be refurbished), I purchased a pair of FJ Icons.  Both pair are all white saddles, and both have Champ Scorpion spikes (white ones).  Recently, in an effort to improve my game, I have been practicing much more than playing.  The other day, for no real reason, I brought out a pair of brand new Synr-G's that I have had in my closet for - I guess - about 3 years.  They obviously feel much different on my feet than Icon's - more padding, more snug, etc. Well, I wore them for 2, 4 ish' hour range sessions - that i felt were very productive.  The next time I went to the range, I wore my Icon's.  No real reason, they were already in my car and I had worn my Synr-G into the house and left them there.  Well, I did not have the same type of range session.  I literally didn't have any power behind the ball, and was having a lot of difficulty turning the driver over from R to L.  I didn't think much about it then, but later recognized that I had worn different shoes on different visits to the club.  The next time I went, I consciously grabbed the Synr-G and had another great range session.  This last weekend, I wore a pair an old pair of Reel Fit that I haven't worn in years and a total of less than 10 times.  I played great!

I am a very conservative guy who loves classic looking shoes and always saw the bells and whistles of the new shoes to be marketing "mumbo Jumbo."  So, this may be mental (I am hoping it is not), and I am 100% convinced that there is something to the new technology in golf shoes and really feel like it has been overlooked in my overall golf equipment strategy.  I have also started trying to pay attention to what the players on tour are wearing.  I am considering the XPS-1, FJ Sport, and FJ Dry Joys Tour, and it seems to me that I see A LOT of FJ Sports worn on tour.  One of the most convincing things that I have seen that has me leaning more toward the FJ Sports are the number of players I see wearing the FJ Sports that aren't even sponsored by FJ.  The FJ Dry Joys Tour are more closely styled to what I typically prefer; however, I am willing to go outside of my comfort zone in order to receive the maximum benefit available.  From reading the material on the site, it seems that the XPS-1 would be the obvious choice, but I just don't really see much of a presence on tour, and those are the guys who can have whatever they want, whenever they want it, and getting the most out of every piece of equipment they wear or carry, is the difference between having a job or not.

Hoping to get some guidance from other FJ wearers.

•  

acmagaha, You make a very good point. I noticed the different shoes the pros were wearing. Many of the FJ pros wear the FJ Sport, Dryjoy Tour, Icon or XPS-1. Looking at the sole of all them, In My Honest Opinion, the FJ SPort and Dryjoy Tour have better traction than the icon and the XPS-1 has the best. The Icon and The Dryjoy Tour have the classic look I prefer. So, i have standardized on the Dryjoy Tour. I love my Icons, but for those that really drive their downswing off of their back foot, the FJ Sport, Dryjoy Tour or XPS1 (it replaced the Synr-G) may be a better choice. It is for me.

•  

Well acmcgaha, you came to the right place.  I am sure the guys will give you their opinion but here is my take on the three you are interested in.

The XPS-1 will most closely match the performance characteristics and feel of your Synr-G's.  It is our most stable shoe in the line and it has similar technology to the Synr-G.  The main difference being the XPS-1 outsole, it provides the golfer all the stability they need.  It has a similar innersole and collar around the heel.  The Synrg-1 featured a memory foam collar around the heel and the XPS-1 features a gel collar.  We have found the gel collar more readily conforms to the shape of your ankle.  Tour presence includes Jason Dufner and Padraig Harrington.  Other players have been testing the shoe in recent weeks including Bill Haas.

The DryJoys Tour will give you the classic looks of the ICON but in my opinion a softer more cushioned feel.  The outsole is also packed with features to keep you grounded in your golf swing.  The Stability PODS will keep you stable while the OptiFlex areas will allow it to bend and move with your foot while walking or swinging.  Another thing golfers talk about is break in time, these do not have one.  They are ready to go out of the box. Tour presence for the the DJT includes Zach Johnson, Steve Stricker, and Louis Oosthuizen.

You are also correct about the FJ Sport, tour seeding is very deep.  Rory, Adam, and Watney are our main horses in SPORT, but there are countless other players in it also.  Scott Stallings, Webb Simpson (sometimes, he is usually in ICON), Gary Woodland, and Seung Yul Noh (watch out for this kid) are also SPORT wearers.  What we usually hear from our tour guys about this shoe usually revolves around how lightweight it is, while still providing the stability that a 115 mph driver swing needs.  It will have a slightly firmer feel then the DJT due to the full TPU outsole and the latest model has four spikes in the heel to provide the golfer with a touch more traction.

Inside the office the preferences are just as diverse.  I am an ICON guy, my boss likes FJ Sport.  A few guys in customer service play religiously in XPS-1.

With all that being said I would suggest trying the three on if you can and make your decision from there!

Best,

DG

•  

Welcome to the FJC,

Like DG, I am an Icon guy for the looks, feel and customization offered.  The XPS-1 is the shoe that my feet like the most, they are more stable for the type of swing I have (fast tempo).  The DJT are the best right out of the box and feel like wearing a cloud.  I like the comfort of the sports but do not like the look all that much.

There are plenty of deals to be had out on the internet, so take a chance and pick up a few different models to try. (Be sure and register them here)

Good Luck

TT

•  

Welcome the community ! 

I am a dryjoy tour wearer and I have a high speed swing 110mph and they suit me just fine. I have found that for me the sport had the same amount of traction but I just like the styling of the tour better. 

I know Duffner bounces back and forth between the the icon and XPS-1, Also have the seen the rookie Cauley wearing and Paddy wears them as well. so A few of the pros are wearing XPS-1

• 2556 points

This is a very timely post as I am in a similar situation.  I need to spend some proshop credit and a pair of my Synergy shoes ar nor separating at the seam where the white and the lizard lines are.  So I am looking at several shoes and not sure if the spikes etc on the XPS would matter to me.  I am a more conservative dresser so I liked the Dryjoys in the white and lizard saddle or the icon in the wingtip style.  Also noticed more sport it seems on tour.  So the comments here have been helpful.  Think the dryJoy saddle may be my choice.  

•  

Again, welcome to the FJ Community, acmcgaha.  I'm probably like a lot of the folks not he Forum.  I have Icons, DryJoys Tours, and FJ Sports.  I wear them interchangeably with my older DryJoys and have not really noticed any real difference in my performance wearing one over the others.  In fact this week, I shot a 77 wearing old DryJoys and another wearing FJ Sports and a 78 wearing Icons.  The true difference is what you're looking for and how the "look" fits your eye.  A lot of my golf is casual with friends, so the overall look doesn't really make a difference.  When I "dress up" for a tournament round or an outing with folks I don't know as well, I will wear my DryJoys Tours MyJoys, my Icons MyJoys, or one of my pairs of Icons--all dependent on what clothes I choose to wear that day.  Granted, I'm conservative in my dress and old enough that my swing speed won't shock anyone, so all the FJs seem to be good for me.  Keep trying and you'll decide which way fits you best.

•  

Welcome to the community. I wear DJ Tours most of the time.  Also have a couple of Lites.  I personally don't care for the synergy line.  Just never comfortable in them. I have never had a break in issue with any FootJoy shoe. Try practicing in a pair of tennis shoes.  Great for rhythm and balance.  But then I only have about 105 speed with my driver.

• 384 points

Thanks to everyone for the info/ opinions. I wish all of the decisions that I had to make we're win/win. I went with the Sports - oRdered them through my club on Saturday. P.S. the Sports are also dominating the Champions and Web.com tours.
  •  

Welcome to the Community acmcgaha !   No matter which style you select as long as they are FJ you just can't go wrong.....Make sure to post a photo of those new Sport when the arrive....Enjoy and wear them in good health !

•  

Given you are a 5 or better handicap, the XPS-1's are a great shoe for traction.  I am assuming you hit the ball pretty well and want that extra gear now and again.  I just got my 1st pair of XPS and can say they are great.  I also have the BOA system and like them nice and tight.  Best pair I could recommend.

Happy B-Day and welcome.

•  

Welcome to FJC, acmcgaha!

I have to tell you, I own a DryJoy pro that I love to death-- but it won't die.  It's been in my rotation for 8 short years!  Just recently, the Guys here have shown me to Icons and I loved them for its style, comfort, and quality. . . they are just wonderful!

The XPS-1 has been one that I have my eye on.  They look great and they have some very good reviews from loyal FJ line users.

Hey, great post!

thanks.

•  

The real beauty of the FJ range is all the variety of shoe styles and colour options available not to mention that they are a great, great golf shoe.

Now I am an unabashed ICON fan myself and I simply love them for the style, support and construction but it would be remiss of me not to check out all the other models  when I hit a proshop or golf store.

Probably best way to determine the shoe for you is just try 'em all and choose the one you like best.

Afterall like all things golf ... if one shoe was enourmously more beneficial than all the rest then everyone would be wearing them ... so in the end it simply comes down to your personal preference.

OZ-Crocman

• 384 points

Update: I am still waiting for the new Sports I ordered to arrive - it will be after the 1st I'm sure. Yesterday, I finally found a pair of size 13 while visiting a friend in Louisville, KY at Golf Headquarters. I am almost speechless at the difference in support, traction, and comfort. Unbelievable!! Thanks to everyone for the advice.
  •  

acmcgaha

Welcome to the FJC.  I love the FJ Sports.  I'm a size 13 also.   They are great for those of us who enjoy walking the course.