The Newest MyJoys Icon - True Hokie Style

The Newest MyJoys Icon - True Hokie Style

•  

Here's a photo of my latest pair of shoes -  currently on display in my local course as a sample.  Already been 3 pairs ordered.

Haven't had a chance to change out the spikes to an orange verison - (that will happen when they come home).

•  

You have to admire how the VT Gobblers, er Hokies, wear their colors. How does the chant go? Hokie - Hokie - High?

•  

Those are kinda Hokie ? enjoy :)

•  

Nice looking shoes Bobby. You guys are really Hokies, through and through. I like your style.

•  

Bobby, 

Very nice looking.  I'm currently looking at some designs for a new pair.

TT

•  

good looking shoes, but what are you going to do with all those pairs???.

•  

Hope you get display fees and FJ royalties for orders made in appreciation.

Loving these colours as orange is my "new" favourite colour.

How may red/maroon coloured shoes does this make?

How about a pic of them all together with the clothing options that goes with it.

(Oh yeah .. how many different colours of spikes are there .. and where do you get them / who makes them).

OZ-Crocman.

•  

In case y'all are curious (I was), here's how the Hokies got the name. The word "hokie" originated in the "Old Hokie" spirit yell created in 1896 by O.M. Stull for a contest which was held to select a new spirit yell when the college's name was changed from Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute and the original spirit yell, which referred to the old name, was no longer usable. Stull's yell won, and he received the $5 award.

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
    Techs, Techs, V.P.I.
    Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
    Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.
    Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.

The team mascot is the HokieBird, a turkey-like creature. The teams were originally known as the "Fighting Gobblers," and the turkey motif was retained despite the name change. Although Virginia Tech is still seeking its first national title in a varsity sport, it has won a national championship in bass fishing, as well as individual track and field events.

• 167 points

I wouldn’t expect anything less from a VT fan.  I reside in Richmond, VA and can’t drive anywhere during football season without seeing Tech stickers or flags on every other car.  While I am not a Tech fan, those shoes are sweet and in the true sense of school spirit.  I graduated high school with Michael Vick, so if you ever want to hear some interesting stories just let me know.    

Chad

•  

JRCC
    I wouldn’t expect anything less from a VT fan.  I reside in Richmond, VA and can’t drive anywhere during football season without seeing Tech stickers or flags on every other car.  While I am not a Tech fan, those shoes are sweet and in the true sense of school spirit.  I graduated high school with Michael Vick, so if you ever want to hear some interesting stories just let me know.    
    Chad

I think a lot of people would love to learn of MV's exploits in High School. For example, did he own any dogs back then?

• 3066 points

Yah, like we didn't see those coming!

Shoot us a new pic when you retrofit with the orange spikes - sounds quite cool.

Enjoy em.

•  

those are some nice looking shoes!  you know you're doing something right when courses want to display your shoes.

• 167 points

I am not sure if he owned dogs in high school, but I can say the portrayal that "dog fighting" is prevalent in the Newport News area is false.

•  

Very nice, Hokie!  Love that color combo. . . . orange spikes, YEAH!

•  

A true FJ Ambassador: Providing access to his personal FJ Shoe collection for display purposes at the local golf shop!!!!! (Bow down and pay homage).

-ICONs for All