Why are my shoes rubbing my heels so badly?

Why are my shoes rubbing my heels so badly?

•  

I wear a 10 D in Classics and Tour Classics.  I recently purchased a pair of white Classic Tours and wore them several times  each time they would rub the back of my ankles but nothing major.   I should have known better but I wore them again when we played Kiawah Island-Ocean course....  BIG MISTAKE!  It was painful to walk after the 5th hole and nice blisters on my heels after we finished.    It seems the inside leather where it was stitched wasn't trimmed/cut closely to the stitching so it flaps.   Is there anyway to fix this without putting some sort of ankle cushion in them?

Thanks,

Andy

•  

FootJoy has great customer service for this kind of issue. Below is the Warranty info from thier website. I would go there and follow the instructions. Basically get the Pro Shop to help you out here.

Warranty
    FootJoy stands behind the quality of materials and workmanship of all FootJoy golf shoes. We will fully support our warranties and administer them fairly and equitably.

1. Full 90-Day Quality Warranty
    All FootJoy golf shoes are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for 90 days from the date of original purchase. Shoes found to be defective will be repaired of replaced with the same style or an equivalent FootJoy shoe at FootJoy's sole discretion.

2. Limited Waterproof Warranty
    FootJoy warrants that certain FootJoy golf shoes purchased in the United States will be waterproof in normal use for two years or one year (depending on the actual style purchased) from the date of original purchase, provided that the shoes have suffered no cuts, abrasions, or other damage and have not been subjected to abuse or other mistreatment.

Should leakage develop within the applicable Limited Warranty period, FootJoy will issue credit for such shoes as follows:
    (I) if shoes are returned during the first year of any warranty period, FootJoy will replace the shoes with the same style or equivalent FootJoy shoe, and
    (II) if shoes are returned during the second year of a two-year warranty period, the purchaser will be credited with 50% of the then current cost toward the purchase of the same style or equivalent FootJoy shoe.

This Limited Warranty extends only to the waterproof characteristics of the shoe. This warranty does not apply to shoes used outside the United States. The applicable warranty for such shoes is the warranty given for shoes sold in the country of use.

3. Limited 30-Day Comfort Warranty
    FootJoy assures the comfort and workmanship quality of all FootJoy shoes purchased and used in the United States for a full 30 days from the date of receipt.

Shoes that are returned (with proof of purchase) to the original place of purchase within 30 days will receive a full replacement (same size). Footwear that has been damaged, altered, or abused in any way will not be honored under this warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Not covered: Worn shoes returned for size exchange.

*Because of the natural variation of grains and textures in alligator and lizard leather, the uppers of these shoes are delicate skins and cannot be guaranteed in any way.

• 782 points

Andy, 

I had the same problem with a pair of 11.5 D classics. I walk in quite a few tournaments, and those shoes never left my heel alone. Because I enjoy the way they look and not wanting to get rid of them, i went to a Rite-Aid and bought some ankle cushions. I have not had the problem since. I gorilla glued the cushions to the insides of the heels and have played 50+ rounds in them. They haven't moved at all. This works great.

GDR

•  

johndeere10

I wear a 10 D in Classics and Tour Classics.  I recently purchased a pair of white Classic Tours and wore them several times  each time they would rub the back of my ankles but nothing major.   I should have known better but I wore them again when we played Kiawah Island-Ocean course....  BIG MISTAKE!  It was painful to walk after the 5th hole and nice blisters on my heels after we finished.    It seems the inside leather where it was stitched wasn't trimmed/cut closely to the stitching so it flaps.   Is there anyway to fix this without putting some sort of ankle cushion in them?

Thanks,

Andy

Did you buy them as a "factory blemish" at a discounted price?  Otherwise, 19hole gave you the proper course of action.  Just give FJ a ring and they will help you out.  You could always try using a nail file where the leather sticks out to smooth it out (or even fine sand paper).  Other than that I don't know what to tell you.  I am sure FJ will be more than happy to help though.

•  

I just went ahead and put the  heel cushions in.   Thanks everyone for their responses.

• 4775 points

I have very narrow heels and I have tried this shoe lacing method which helps heel slipage

http://walking.about.com/cs/shoecare/l/aa120600b.htm

•  

johndeere10

I just went ahead and put the  heel cushions in.   Thanks everyone for their responses.

Have you been able to test them out with the heel cushions?  Just hoping it helped solve the problem at hand... er foot shall I say.  :)

•  

johndeere10

Have you been able to test them out with the heel cushions?  Just hoping it helped solve the problem at hand... er foot shall I say.  :)

•  

Not yet....  wifey has been on my case about going out to play this week.  :(

•  

I guess it's about time to rally the troops and try to take your man card back! lol, just kidding. 

I think we all know how that goes... except I'm not married, but the girlfriend can get on my case about it on an occasion.

•  

The best solution is to get her to play too. My wife plays with a regular group of women at our club on both Sat and Sun. We play as a couple with others at least once a week. I never get any grief about how much I play. Life is good!

•  

jas904

I have very narrow heels and I have tried this shoe lacing method which helps heel slipage

What a great find!  Thank you for posting this link.  I have a slight heel issue in a couple of my shoes and I think you have provided me with a solution.  I am going to try this out later and see how it works.

Tim

•  

19hole

The best solution is to get her to play too. My wife plays with a regular group of women at our club on both Sat and Sun. We play as a couple with others at least once a week. I never get any grief about how much I play. Life is good!

I've been working on it, but she's not really interested.  She's come out a couple times but always ends up saying "I'm not competitive enough to learn how to play"... oh well, I guess she just wants to go to the club to eat dinner... always a good reason to golf before hand and have her meet me after the round for a nice meal... I can usually get away with it that way.

•  

I guess that I am very lucky. I met my wife on the course, she learned how to play at Turnberry in Scotland and she is VERY competitive.

• 4775 points

tim6918

jas904

What a great find!  Thank you for posting this link.  I have a slight heel issue in a couple of my shoes and I think you have provided me with a solution.  I am going to try this out later and see how it works.

Tim

Let me know how this works out.  It really helped my heel issue.