SoftSpikes or Metal?

SoftSpikes or Metal?

•  

memphisunited

19hole

Does anyone still use metal spikes? I ask as a number of guys I play with moan and groan that they HATE non-metal spikes. I personally will never play in them again. I think that they are bad for the greens, are much harder on your feet and it is impossible to stand on any hard surface (cart path) and swing. Before anyone reminds me about the Rule that will provide relief from having to stand on a cart path, sometimes your lie is just so good you don't want to risk getting a bad one from the drop.

What are all of your opinions?

19hole - I agree with all of your points.  I would never switch back to metal spikes for all of the reasons that you mentioned.  Do you remember when Steve Elkington got DQ'd from US Open qualifying (I think) for wearing metal spikes when the local rules sheet said soft spikes only?

He wasn't DQ'd.  He was just not allowed on the qualifying course unless he changed his spikes.  The club said they were a non-metal spike club and they were going to stick that policy.  Elk threw a hissy fit and walked out saying he wasn't going to play.

Tim

•  

Soft spikes actually got there start, not as a way of saving greens, but as a way of saving carpet.  The soft spike manufacturers went to club managers not greenskeepers.  The companies sold the club managers on the idea that their soft spikes would be easier on the carpets in the proshop and restaurant areas.  They claimed that the metal spikes tore up the carpet and that soft spikes wouldn't.  The managers looked at this as a way of saving money in the log by not having to replace the carpet as often. 

Tim

•  

tim, you are absolutely correct with the beginings of SoftSpikes. I remember the pitch from the rep.

I also bow down before you as the Master of All Things DQ (or not as this case is!).

•  

tim6918

memphisunited

19hole

Does anyone still use metal spikes? I ask as a number of guys I play with moan and groan that they HATE non-metal spikes. I personally will never play in them again. I think that they are bad for the greens, are much harder on your feet and it is impossible to stand on any hard surface (cart path) and swing. Before anyone reminds me about the Rule that will provide relief from having to stand on a cart path, sometimes your lie is just so good you don't want to risk getting a bad one from the drop.

What are all of your opinions?

19hole - I agree with all of your points.  I would never switch back to metal spikes for all of the reasons that you mentioned.  Do you remember when Steve Elkington got DQ'd from US Open qualifying (I think) for wearing metal spikes when the local rules sheet said soft spikes only?

He wasn't DQ'd.  He was just not allowed on the qualifying course unless he changed his spikes.  The club said they were a non-metal spike club and they were going to stick that policy.  Elk threw a hissy fit and walked out saying he wasn't going to play.

Tim

Yeah, you're right.  I think that's how it went down.  But, I think they may have listed him technically as a DQ.  It was kind of BS, since Elk was right that the USGA allowed metal spikes in the US Open.  I'm not sure if it was stated on the local rules sheet or not.  Just an interesting argument from Elk about local rules and guidelines from the USGA.

•  

I'm all soft and have never really known anything else.  The newer soft spike especially are providing plenty of traction as far as I'm concerned.

•  

Welch222

I'm all soft and have never really known anything else.  The newer soft spike especially are providing plenty of traction as far as I'm concerned.

Soft spikes do allow plenty of traction, but the metal spikes offer more traction for me.  Like I've said, I don't wear them often but when I do, I can really tell a difference.  They are not uncomfortable to me but then again, I used to play soccer and football and wore metal cleats for that too.

•  

I would probably go with softspikes because that is what I am use too.  I have never worn metal spikes.

•  

I think Elk should have let it go... is it really worth not playing in the US Open over a controversial spike issue?  I mean come on, it's not a matter of principle, but the fact your at THE US OPEN!!!  Geez, I'd go spikeless to play the US Open...

•  

Like others have said a huge reason for metal spike ban is due to damage done to walk bridges, carpet, golf cars, etc. 

My course still allows metal spikes but nobody uses them.  Its is fun to pull them out from time to time but like mentioned is sure is alot more comfortable to walk and play in softspikes